• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Save Extension

Hi!
    Is there any way to configure default save extension? E.g. - (default) JPG
    Thank you.

If you use Save (Ctrl S), it defaults to whatever format you used the last time.

If you use Save as (S), it defaults to the current image's format.

If you use "Save for web (plugin)" it seems to default always to JPG.

Moved to the support forum. The feedback forum is for feedback about the forums.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      If you use Save (Ctrl S), it defaults to whatever format you used the last time.
      If you use Save as (S), it defaults to the current image's format.
      If you use "Save for web (plugin)" it seems to default always to JPG.
      What about image from the scanner?

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen View Post
        What about image from the scanner?
        Then you can scan in batch mode, choose the default save as format, the default options, and the default save to folder.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

FIrst of all - thank you for your reply.
          So it is my understanding that there is no way to specify default file extension when you are scanning not in the batch mode.
          Am I right?
          Previous version of the program "remembered" this extension and kept it somewhere.

Comment

I don't know which program you were using before, but you don't seem to be talking about IrfanView. If you're scanning a single image it is not saved to disk at all, but just scans to the IrfanView window.

Then when you save the scan it defaults to the format you used the last time. It was the same in IrfanView 3.97 — I don't have any earlier versions installed.

Comment

Bhikkhu is right that nothing has changed in recent versions in this respect.

After you have made a scan then I think that these are the defaults.

If you choose Save, the default directory is the same as the last one opened and is held in OpenDir= in the [Open] section of i_view32.ini

If you choose Save As, the default directory is the same as the last one that a Save As was made to and is held in SaveDir= in the [Copy-Move] section of i_view32.ini.

In either case the default extension after a scan is whatever the last Save As was and is held as a number in SaveIndex= in the [Others] section of i_view32.ini

Comment

Gentlemen
                Thank you for your messages.
                Let me elaborate. I'm not talkiong about directory. I'm taking about file type
                What I want to know is the following.
                After scanning with Irfanview image goes to RAM (not to the Irfanview window).
                When I go with File=>Save it gives me a choice of directory (folder) - good!, but always gives me file type JP2. I would like to make a default FILE TYPE JPG
                Is this possible? If "yes" - how to do it?
                Thank you.

Comment

How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

If the default extension is not changing to JPG when you save as JPG, maybe your i_view32.ini file is protected by the OS, but you haven't told us your OS or whether you have tried the method suggested — i.e. save as JPG to change the default to JPG.

Comment

OK, Eugenen, perhaps I was confusing you by offering too much information.

The essential point to understand is that when you use SAVE neither the folder name NOR the extension that you select are retained.

When you use SAVE AS both of them, the folder name AND the extension that you select are retained and will appear as the default next time.

So if you want to change your default extension and to keep it for each scan you make, then use the SAVE AS option not SAVE.

Comment

Thank you. Now it is clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X