No announcement yet.

full screen problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your Operating System and IrfanView Version?

Comment

Similar problem

I have a similar problem in that when I press enter to switch images to full screen mode, and then scroll through them using the space bar, it seems intermittently (every minute or so) to throw the application out of full screen mode.

I swear I've not experienced this problem before on previous windows incarnations on the same pc, although this time round I wonder if it's significant that I decided to go with Windows Media Center edition? I'm using the latest irfanview with the plugins installed.

I've not noticed this problem on any other machine using the exact same settings, so it has to be an environment issue... I just can't find what is polling (perhaps) to cause the issue.

I'll have a go at disconnecting the keyboard when I next get a chance, I have a Microsoft Wireless laser mouse and keyboard combo.
      Last edited by KungFuNav; 26.01.2009, 08:42 PM. Reason: Trying something new

Comment

An accidental click in either upper corner can quit fullscreen, but I doubt this is happening.

Comment

Dell 1501, Win XP Pro SP3, IrfanView 4.23, same problem. I've even unlpugged the keyboard (no big deal, only 2 screws), no joy.
          Strange thing is, at work I have same laptop, same configuration and no problems!

Any brand new ideas?
          Last edited by Razvan; 23.02.2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Found the solution!
            Remove the power plug, remove the battery (blow the contacts with some compressed air while you're at it - canned air or the oral type;-) ) then put all back together.
            I know it sounds like a joke... but it's not! Looks like a power or electrostatic issue of the touchpad, or the keyboard circuitry.
            It solves both ALT+Tab and IrfanView fullscreen issue.
            Last edited by Razvan; 07.03.2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I've never ever had this problem with IV, since its earliest version, but for about three days now hitting Enter won't run full screen mode--and what's worse: this option is greyed out in the View menu!

What's wrong?

(I'll check some stuff I installed recently)

UPDATE

There was nothing wrong with IV itself! The problem used to occur only when I went to Image > Create new (empty) image. The field for the image width was zeroed--and that wasn't allowing the image to be created, thus not allowing the View > Full screen option as well... =)
              Last edited by Paultx; 19.08.2009, 09:23 PM.
              Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
              Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
              IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I know there are sometimes problems with printer drivers (particularly from HP), but I deleted them all, and made Snagit my default printer, and it didn't affect the problem.

Three of the people that have reported this problem above have a DELL Inspiron 1501, and most others don't report what their platform is (shame on them!). That's a popular computer, but it seems unlikely this would be a coincidence. The operating systems vary though: XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Maybe the problem has something to do with the drivers that come with the 1501? If so, we might be able to fix it by updating the drivers or other system software. I'd be willing to try this is someone could give me a hint on what to try.

IrfanView 4.25, Windows 7 Home Premium, DELL Inspiron 1501
                Last edited by tony7896; 30.06.2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Hi tony7896
                  This is rather an old thread that you are reviving. Not always a good policy - it is often better to start again with a new statement of the symptoms as you see them.
                  I was always rather puzzled about how a printer driver could be responsible for what was originally described but thought perhaps somebody knew better than me.

Razvan's iinvestigations around the keyboard and touchpad sounded a lot more probable.
                  The first thing I would have done is to check the Mouse settings in Control panel and disable any of those fancy device drivers that respond to taps or "gestures" from the touchpad. They are much more likely to generate spurious Enter or other simulated keystrokes.

Comment

Good thinking re old thread!

My PC has a clean install of Windows 7, and I can't find see any controls for touchpad gestures, but indeed a double tap does generate a left click. Originally there was a program that controlled the touch pad features, but I searched programs for "touch pad", and looked at the device manager, but don't see anything related. My guess is that Windows 7 has default drivers for touch pads, like it has default drives for VGA, and they make the double click work? If this is the case, perhaps I need to get Windows-7-compatible drivers for the touch pad from DELL, and perhaps a control program as well. Just installing the driver might fix the problem, and if not I can go in and disable all gestures. I find them nothing but a nuisance anyway.

Comment

For me, this problem had never happened before until I restored my system to an earlier state (using a Ghost image). Unbelievable, right? After a few months I finally had enough and tried to fix the problem by updating to irfanview 4.35, playing around with its options, looking for a solution online, without any success. Until I accidentally pulled the power cord and had to restart my laptop. That fixed it! So for any of you looking for a solution, try updating irfanview and restarting your computer - good luck!
                      Last edited by liekloo; 22.12.2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

The problem is back. I'll let you guys know if I find a solution.

Comment

Dell Inspiron 1501; Windows XP SP3; IrfanView Version 4.38 (English)

I’m glad I found this thread! Nice to know others are in the same boat. (Misery loves company.)

I also have a Dell Inspiron 1501, and I’m also experiencing problems with full screen mode.

To be clear, I have IrfanView set to launch in full screen mode, but as soon as it gains focus, it exits full screen mode and returns to a windowed view. If I hit Enter to return to full screen mode, it will switch back again, but only for a fraction of a second before it exits full screen mode and returns to the windowed view again. Rinse and repeat, always the same result.

I run IrfanView portably from my Dropbox, so I run the EXACT SAME BUILD on all my computers—one is an iMac running BootCamp, the other is a Lenovo running 7. I have NEVER experienced this issue on either of those machines. It is unique to the Dell Inspiron 1501 alone. (And it’s not an XP issue, as the BootCamp OS on the iMac is XP SP3, too, and the iMac has no trouble launching and maintaining full screen mode.)

I have not tried to take apart my keyboard, battery, or any of the internal components of my laptop to solve this issue as that seems a bit… extreme? Surely this has got to be a software or driver issue, right?

Would be terribly grateful for a solution. Thank you.

Comment

You can find a number of tales of strange behavior of Dell Inspiron 1501 keyboards, some with equally strange solutions such as this one.

I regret that nobody on this site appears to have found a solution over the years this thread has been running though.

Comment

Working...
                            X