Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Using a different program to play video files

Hello,

When double clicking a video file, it would be fine if one could tell IrfanView to use an external video player. For example, I would like to use VLC to play my video files.

Regards,
    Michael

This is very simply!
    Associate only picture formats with IrfanView!
    And associate the video formats with the VLC media player in its settings!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      This is very simply!
      Associate only picture formats with IrfanView!
      And associate the video formats with the VLC media player in its settings!
      Sorry for being not clear enough.

When using the thumbnail browser, I'd like IrfanView to create thumbnails for both images and videos. But when double clicking a video thumbnail inside the thumbnail browser, I do not want to use the video player of IrfanView but VLC.

Regards,
      Michael

Comment

Yes, in the thumbnail browser, when I double-click on a video file, I'd like IV to open an external video player (my default video player is MPC-HC). I expect this to be the behavior of IV because I have set Properties/Settings/Video / Sound > "Use external player". I have IV_Player PlugIn installed. In IrfanView Multimedia Player I have Player Options > Microsoft Media Player interface checked (If I check MCI interface an error is given when I double-click on a file). MPC-HC plays my video files just fine if accessing them from FreeCommander, my file explorer.
        Geoffrey in Thailand

Comment

What am I missing? When I double-click a video in thumbnails IrfanView uses the external player.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Let's see if I have the correct expectation. When I double-click on a video file in IV-thumbnails, I expect MPC-HC to open and the video to play. What happens now is, The IrfanView Multimedia Player window opens and does not play. The video player > info shows:
            Video size: 34731392 x 34731392 pixels
            Length: 0.00 seconds
            I've checked this behavior with MP4 and MOV files.
            Geoffrey in Thailand

Comment

This is what I get with an MP4 video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IrfanView Video Player.png
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	83161
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The Title Bar on the window says Irfanview Multimedia player. So external means a separate window? Not, a non-Irfanview player? And internal means, in the main Irfanview window. So, for me, my external window is not functioning. How can I figure out how to make it function?
                Geoffrey in Thailand

Comment

As the Help file says:

This dialog shows you options for video/sound playing. Videos/sounds can be played in the main window (default) or with the english IV_Player PlugIn in a separate window. For playing video/sound also the PlugIn Video must be installed, which is done during program installation
                  If you want to play videos in another player, such as VLC, open them from Windows File Explorer.

Comment

OK, I understand what IrfanView means by external player (i.e., IrfanView MultiMedia Player). Mine does not work; only the internal player works. What approach should I take in figuring out what is wrong with it and how to make it work.
                    Geoffrey in Thailand

Comment

Check that the IV_Player.exe plugin is installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV Player Plugin.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	83163

Comment

Working...
                      X