slideshow without directory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to produce a slideshow with an anonymous directory so that I can move the pictures and the show anywhere.
    It is clear, the show have to be within the same directory as the jpg-s.
    But it is impossible for me to get a working show without name of drive and directory for each picture!?

A number of options come to mind for quick launch of relocatable image folders.

1. Open Irfanview. Select File >Open and browse to the folder where your images are. Open the first image. Press Ctrl+W.

2. Create a batch file containing the line "%1\i_view32.exe /slideshow=%1". Then just drag and drop the folder containing Irfanview and the images onto the batch file.

3. Make an executable slideshow. All your images are included in the exe file so it can be played from anywhere.
    Last edited by Mij; 09.11.2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      1. Open Irfanview. Select File >Open and browse to the folder where your images are. Open the first image. Press Ctrl+W.
      engl: Yes, I have after "W" a working show without any directory...

german: Ja, jetzt habe ich nach "W" bereits eine funktionierende Show ohne Angaben des Pfades... hm

2. Create a batch file containing the line "%1\i_view32.exe /slideshow=%1".
      engl: Okay, but why do I have to make a batch file?

german: Kann ich machen, aber wozu braucht man das batch file?

Then just drag and drop the folder containing Irfanview and the images onto the batch file.
      engl: How is to put any thing into a batch file "per drag and drop" ?

german: Wie kann man drag and drop in ein batch file machen??? Irfanview.exe habe ich doch ganz woanders. Oder meinst Du die exe-Show?

3. Make an executable slideshow. All your images are included in the exe file so it can be played from anywhere.
      Yes, this is done, but windowslike and not per batch...

Ja, das verstehe ich und habe ich gemacht, aber windowslike...

Comment

Testing this.
        There's a possible bug in the dialog, because at down left corner there's a choice about adding the path :

Another workaround :
        1. So you have all images in one directory, and added them to the slideshow list.
        2. Save the slideshow as TXT file, also in the same directory.
        3. Open the TXT file with Notepad or such, remove the path string from each line, and save again.
        (This means a txt file with only the names of the image files. This could be made otherwise of course)
        4. Open one of the images with IrfanView, do 'W' and load the TXT file.
        5. Test the slideshow. If it's ok, then save the slideshow as executable.
        Last edited by Sam_Zen; 10.11.2009, 01:19 AM.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sorry, but this did I done before and this brought not success for me.

The Ctrl+W what Mij recommeded is far better as the txt import.

Thanks

Comment

Oncemore. There is any bug:
            After my experiments before I had produced the txt-list as Sam recommend but this alone produces no success if start slideshow.
            Mijs recommendation to load one picture before was also very important!
            (Ctrl+W starts the slideshow, but until now there is no possibility to get a correct exe-file.)
            If the txt-list is loaded as can you see after W and any picture from the same directory is loaded before, then starts the slidshow correct and you can safe the exe-file.
            The option "include subdirectories..." is for me without difference, because there is no subdirectory...
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by quots View Post
              engl: Yes, I have after "W" a working show without any directory...
              german: Ja, jetzt habe ich nach "W" bereits eine funktionierende Show ohne Angaben des Pfades... hm
              engl: Okay, but why do I have to make a batch file?

german: Kann ich machen, aber wozu braucht man das batch file?
              engl: How is to put any thing into a batch file "per drag and drop" ?

german: Wie kann man drag and drop in ein batch file machen??? Irfanview.exe habe ich doch ganz woanders. Oder meinst Du die exe-Show?
              Yes, this is done, but windowslike and not per batch...
              Ja, das verstehe ich und habe ich gemacht, aber windowslike...
              Hello again Quots
              I was unsure exactly how you wanted to use the images.
              My suggestions are really three different ways of packaging up Irfanview with a folder of images so that they can be played as a slideshow even when the path to them has changed. I quite often need to save a show to a USB Flash drive and then run it on another computer where it will install with a different drive letter. The same techniques can be adapted for many other purposes though.

I thought it might clarify this to you and others if I gave some more details

1. The first attachment shows how I thought you wanted to arrange your show, with a copy of Irfanview and the image files all in the same folder. This allows you to open an Explorer window of the folder on the other computer and just drag and drop the first image file onto the program file i_view32.exe. That will open that first image and then pressing Ctrl+W will launch the slideshow. The file i_view32.exe does not need to be in the same folder, it can be anywhere but you will then usually need to open two Explorer Windows and drag from one to the other.
              If you are using i_view32.exe on a flash drive you need to run it and check Load Custom file types under Options> Properties> Extensions. You might not know what file types will be associated with Irfanview on another computer, maybe none, so that option is not suitable. If combining both program and image files in the same folder it is wise to reduce the custom list of file types to just those you want to display, perhaps JPG|PNG|GIF|BMP. If you leave entries like ICO, TXT or INI in the list you may find yourself displaying files you did not want to see.

2. The batch file method is more flexible and lets you launch the slideshow direct without having to display the first file and press more keys, and you could avoid the possibility of displaying unwanted files by putting the images in a sub-folder. A batch file for doing this is shown in the second attachment and a folder with it in is shown in the third. Each of the folders Show1, Show2, and Show3 are completely independent and can just be dragged and dropped onto the batch file to launch that show. Each folder contains a copy of the program file i_view32.exe and a folder called Images containing the images to be shown. An example is in the final attachment. You need only copy the i_view32.exe file to the folders. The i_view32.ini file will be created when you first run the program. Do that by double clicking on each exe file in turn, open the slideshow dialog and set how you want the show to run. Do not add any file names. Just Start the (empty) show and the ini file will be created with the settings you want for that show.

3. This is Irfanview's own method of creating an independent show. All the necessary parts of the program and the chosen image files are packaged together in one executable file, and the show can be launched just by double clicking it from any folder or drive on any Windows computer.
              The disadvantage, as you know, is that you cannot change the content of the show without creating a completely new executable file.

The method described by Sam_Zen where you create a text file of the image list and then use Find and Replace in Notepad or Word to change the drive letter or segment of path to suit another computer does also allow you to do a certain amount of editing to replace one image by another when needed. It is worth considering where you have a copy of a whole tree of picture folders on your flash drive. You can then display widely dispersed images rather than have them all in a single folder.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mij,
                You has described exactly and extensive the solution to the problem. Thank you very much!

My intention was to produce a slide show of pictures for my relations, partly over 70 years old, working only with windows. The slide show has to be on a virtual drive of a provider.

There are more problems as I known up to now:
                1. No exe-files can not be uploaded. Therefore I should use the scr-file as irfanview allows.
                2. The scr-file (but exe file also) is very big, if I put 255 original 8-Mpixel-pictures into it (more than 547 MB). There is no method of file-splitting within irfanview?!

So I have to hope, the relations have a large HD and a sturdy DSL for downloading all of it.

Or I have to pre-treate the pictures, sorry?

But this is not the same topic...

Comment

Working...
                X