Problem playing 'mov' files in slideshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem playing 'mov' files in slideshow

Hello, I previously used IV on a Laptop (with MS Vista) mainly to present photos and videos combined in full-screen slideshows – everything worked fine. I used the 4.1 (? not totally sure, though…) version of IV on this.

I now have a new laptop with WIN 7 (64bit), on which I installed the new IV 4.25 release, together with the latest plug-ins (4.25); I've also installed QuickTime on the laptop (as usual, in a seperate folder under 'programme files')..

The problem now is that on the new Laptop, IV does NOT play 'mov' videos (QuickTimeMovies) neatly in the slideshow.

If I use the same IV slideshow settings as on my previous laptop, these movies just don't play, and I get the following message:

Error: Windows cannot play this file.
    Can't create video player or Unknown codec.
    You can try additional video/audio drivers from this site:
    FOURCC, four character code, pixel, format, video, YUV, RGB, codec, windows, microsoft, video for windows, windows media player, AVI

or try the 'DirectShow' Option unter 'settings – video'

(The 'DirectShow' Option does not help at all...)

I can play the 'mov' files when in the audio/video settings I enable the box "Use QuickTime for MOV/3GP/MP4/M4A/FLI/FLC (if Quick Time is installed)"; BUT then, within my slideshow, a separate window opens up and it does not work properly (this box was not ticked in the setup on my previous laptop).

I'm really at a loss as to how make the whole thing work again; I'm really used to IV to run slideshows on my flat screen TV, and I would be very grateful if anyone could help me to fix this problem. Please note that other video formats work fine (are totally embedded in full-screen slideshow), and that the Windows Media Player plays the 'mov' files without any problem.

Thanks indeed – W.

Did you fix this? I too use IV to do SlideShows. Until recently my camera generated JPG and AVI files - and the full screen slide show in IV was(and is) exactly what I want. The new camera generates MOV (QuickTime) files. First I tried a whole load of different "media players" but none of them was close to doing what IV does so well. Then I spent days downloading and re-encoding the MOV files with all sorts of different settings using all sort of different programmes (in desparation I even paid for QT Pro....embarassing or what) but haven't found the right mix of file-size, move quality (and sound-synchronisation) - not to mention the fact that I don't really want to have to re-encode every movie I take. I guess this is a pretty old thread but you never know who is watching....

Comment

Hi Willi II,

I can't help much. Maybe the correct codec is not installed. A long time ago, I installed KLiteCodecPack (not sure I remember well) and it came with an utility to detect which codec is neddet to play a given video file. You might give it a try to see if it helps.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

KLite is definitely the one to install, if you do not have all codecs! The latest version is Version 5.9.6 - click here.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

This is a link to an update pack, so better first check for the full version at the same site here
          Last edited by Sam_Zen; 16.05.2010, 01:31 AM.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I stand corrected - Thanks, Sam!
            Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
            IrfanView Website - Here
            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
            Author's Website - Here

Comment

I always use the K-lite, and their QT (and Real) Alternative. All fine with IV.

XMedia Recode is my favorite converter.
              Last edited by Sam_Zen; 18.05.2010, 02:47 AM. Reason: wrong url
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Just a quick update on the issue of wanting to incorporate MOV files seemlessly into full-screen slide shows - which in my case was really caused by Canon going to H264/AVC and MOV files for the movie encoding/saving on their cameras - (got no help from them by the way)
                Current work-around is to export uncompressed from Qucktime Pro (Apple only seem to allow Cinepaq for encoding of AVI and the loss of quality was unbearable) then re-encode using the SUPER programme with H264/AVC and the VSSH option for video and MP3 for the sound. This seems to be the only approach so far which gives a synchronised sound stream and an I-can't-tell-the-difference picture quality. Using this approach and IV4.27 I get full screen (1920x1080 with correct aspect ratio) movies interspersed with stills in the correct order and no extra windows popping up that have to be closed before I can show the next file.
                OK - it's a bit of pain having to export the MOV files one at a time - looks as if there might be someway to batch this if I had an Apple - certainly running "QuickTimePlayer /?" in a cmd window on XP gets you nowhere! (SUPER works on a batch basis so no problem there)

One thing puzzles me though. The only thing that is basically changing in the above process is the "container" - the video codec is the same - so why can't IV4.27 play the original file without using the QT Plugin as Willi suggests was possible in earlier versions - is the internal structure of MOV files a secret - (I'm pretty sure it's not shortage of codecs if SHERLOCK is anyting to go by - but it does say "Newbie" against my name for a reason)......

Comment

Same here

Very good description for this annoying problem. Exactly the same goes for Windows Photo Gallery: it's slideshow played my videos as well, until Canon switched from AVI to MOV. I tried all codepacks, switched to Windows 7 with al its improved codec support: no gain. Still hoping for a solution, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Originally posted by umxp02 View Post
                  Just a quick update on the issue of wanting to incorporate MOV files seemlessly into full-screen slide shows - which in my case was really caused by Canon going to H264/AVC and MOV files for the movie encoding/saving on their cameras - (got no help from them by the way) (....)

Comment

Hi, poor comfort, but you're not alone, I have exactly the same experience and know lot's of people thinking it's there fault. But its not, there is no solution up to now. A shame for Canon, Microsoft and Apple! Exactly the same goes for Windows Photo Gallery: it's slideshow played my videos as well, until Canon switched from AVI to MOV. I tried all codepacks, switched to Windows 7 with al its improved codec support: no gain. Still hoping for a solution, and I'm willing to pay for it. Playing video clips and stills right from your harddisk in the same slideshow without editing is really nice.

Comment

Any new developments?

Hello everyone,

I just wondered if anyone has found a solution to this problem over the last year or so? Or a suggestion for an alternative to IV when it comes to embedding MOV files seamlessy into a slide show?

Many thanks indeed - WIlli II

Comment

Working...
                      X