Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opera 10.1 Unite

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Ah, I had assumed East London was South Africa, but you are actually from the U.K.

Yes, I have access now, but the PNG is incredibly huge. It would take over an hour and a half for me to fetch and return it on my slow connection. Definitely a good test, but it seems too burdensome for me. Even if I did try it, it might fail at any step along the way.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Try the zip file instead. The chosen button skin for Opera 10.1 is nice. Copy it to your skins folder.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Like I said, to truly test it you need someone with the capability to download in excess of 1 MB/s. Or even multiple people downloading in unison to really increase the traffic load on your side. But you're probably right, it may still be impossible to detect any slowdown on your end, because the Unite service is so well regulated.

In any case, it looks quite appealing. I definitely think I could find a use for it. I especially like the clean web addresses and the lack of usage limitations.

Looked at the skins, but I haven't installed Opera yet. I'll get around to it eventually.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 16.01.2010 at 09:27 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    Like I said, to truly test it you need someone with the capability to download in excess of 1 MB/s. Or even multiple people downloading in unison to really increase the traffic load on your side. But you're probably right, it may still be impossible to detect any slowdown on your end, because the Unite service is so well regulated.
    Traffic could indeed be a problem, as indicated here, but apparently it is potentially controlled by a user-setting. So, even if a friend has very good downloading speed, he will usually always be stalled by the host's traditionally much slower uploading speed, and moreover, the user-set upload speed limit, due to the fact that it still resides on the host's computer.

Therefore, even if my connection is slow, it is likely that performance will be similar amongst friends because your upload speed is probably even slower. However, I'll guess that your upload speed is significantly better than my upload speed of only 384kbps or less. Is it around 2.5Mbps? Here in the U.S., you can get up to 20 Mbps if you are lucky, but it is not cheap. Many ISPs tend to be skimpy it seems.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I tested it myself by starting to download the file using Firefox. The download speed was about 60 Kb/sec and estimated transfer time was about 50 minutes.

Thread Information