Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opera 10.1 Unite

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Default Opera 10.1 Unite

The latest version of Opera has just been released.

Download Opera 10.1 Unite

Opera Unite enables users to share files or use their own PC as a server. You could, for example, publish a website to your hard drive, send the link to others, and they could give you feedback on it before it goes live.

You can share files by sending a link to a folder on your hard drive, and allow anyone who knows the password to download the files from it.

Similarly, you can assign another folder as an area for colleagues to send you files that are too big to attach to forums, or too confidential.

Document Courier is my file upload server. If anyone needs to send me a file I just need to send them the current password by PM.

If you already use Opera, this upgrade is recommended as it includes an important security fix. Other new features (since 9.64) include a Turbo mode (for dial-up connections), Web Fonts, HTML email, and inline spell-check (which uses Hunspell).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.11.2009 at 04:37 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Indeed, Opera has a fierce fan following the world over! I do not use it too much though, because it treats HTML a little differently in comparison with IE and FF. Since these 2 Browsers have maximum share, I need to create pages that display well under these, rather than other Browsers.

The W3Schools Browser Statistics for December 2009 says Opera has a market share of 2.3%, of which 1.8% is already Version 10.X! Still, far below its potential, if you ask me! Here is the link to the piece of Statistics
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 12.01.2010 at 06:46 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by WellOiledPC View Post
    The W3Schools Browser Statistics for December 2009 says Opera has a market share of 2.3%, of which 1.8% is already Version 10.X! Still, far below its potential, if you ask me! Here is the link to the piece of Statistics
    Even less if you look at the median of a broader view of websites. Opera seems to be at only 1.30% as of December. W3Schools statistics are quite misleading, since they are just one website which happens to be devoted to the language of the web – not exactly the most typical topic for an average web user. For instance, it gives the impression that Firefox has more of a user base than all of IE!

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

I kind of like this Unite concept, but I can't see leaving my computer on and connected 24/7, or it being slowed by data requests. I think most people will tell you their computer is slow enough!

It is nice to rely on remote servers which are more up to the task. Cheaper and more reliable, too.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    I kind of like this Unite concept, but I can't see leaving my computer on and connected 24/7, or it being slowed by data requests. I think most people will tell you their computer is slow enough!
    There is no need to leave it on 24/7, unless you're using Unite as a web server. For any collaborative project between users in the same time zone, you will be working at the same time. If your PC is off line, then your colleagues will have to try again later. I have never noticed any slowdown for file transfer.

Try it and see is the best way to find out. I put a nice big NASA image in my downloads folder if you want to try fetching it and sending it back to me. I am going offline from about 6:30 am until 8:30 am. Current password is Skippybox.

Remote file servers are a pain — they keep people waiting for downloads and show adverts. It is easy to click on the wrong link, and get some garbage, etc.

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    CPU Cores

If you're talking of Installed Base, IE's huge IB can probably never be surpassed by any Browser, since every Windows-running Computer is pre-loaded with it, including that of Firefox users.

The best Statistics is, at best, misleading. Heard this one before?

Question: Whats common between statistics and a bikini?

Answer: Both reveal what is very interesting, but cover what is vital!

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by WellOiledPC View Post
    If you're talking of Installed Base, IE's huge IB can probably never be surpassed by any Browser, since every Windows-running Computer is pre-loaded with it, including that of Firefox users.
    No, I mean that technology users interested in web languages don't necessarily represent the typical web user. It is more likely that those super web-savvy users would choose an alternative browser over IE than most people. So, W3Schools' statistics are not well representative of real world market share. I am referring to the browser that a person would normally use, not the one that may happen to come pre-installed or is integrated into the OS.

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    CPU Cores

Oh, I completely agree there! They also have OS Statistics, but nothing is truly representative of technology users.

Its easier to compare technology organizations - how many Enterprise-wide apps? How many servers? Which core activities are real-time? etc., would give reasonably accurate answers.
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 15.01.2010 at 08:33 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I put a nice big NASA image in my downloads folder if you want to try fetching it and sending it back to me. I am going offline from about 6:30 am until 8:30 am..
    Tried yesterday, but you were offline before 6:30 am. That was GMT+2 time you gave, correct? Tried again now, but I get, "The password was incorrect." Does the password expire?

Remote file servers are a pain — they keep people waiting for downloads and show adverts. It is easy to click on the wrong link, and get some garbage, etc
    Some are like that. I use Skydrive mostly, which is ad-free and an impressive 25GB. It's not like working with files on your PC, but you get used to the interface. I admit, I would prefer cleaner web addresses for the file hierarchy, and a way to upload whole folders. But since it is free and I get no server space from my ISP, it is hard to complain.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    Tried yesterday, but you were offline before 6:30 am. That was GMT+2 time you gave, correct? Tried again now, but I get, "The password was incorrect." Does the password expire?
    No, it was GMT. I had to go out about 20 minutes after I posted. To download the file you shouldn't need a password as the folder is now public.

I change the password for each user I invite to send me a file via document courier.

The current password to upload = Dmayner
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.01.2010 at 10:32 PM.

Thread Information