Can't open files with extended or double-byte file or folder names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't open files with extended or double-byte file or folder names

For some time now, IrfanView is unable to open files with filenames or folders (path) which included extended characters or double-byte characters and, instead gives the following error:

[Drive:] [Path\] [file name]: Can't read file header !

Unknown file format or file not found !

These are files that can be opened with no problem using PhotoShop, Paint, Paint.NET, etc...

Surely by now, IrfanView should support extended character sets and double-byte character sets. I receive a lot of documents with Chinese file names or with extended European characters included in the file name or folder name and it is massively frustrating that I can't open image files with IrfanView. I am forced to rename them with basic ASCII file names before I can view or edit them ... then rename them to the original file names (if necessary).

Surely, by now, IrfanView should provide support for these files and stop giving the misleading and false error message: "Unknown file format or file not found !"

I hope this will be fixed soon!!!

Enable the Unicode plugin in Properties, Language. It has been available since version 4.20.
    Version 4.20 (Release date: 2008-07-16)
    - Basic Unicode support added (Properties->Misc 1, thanks to Christophe Paris!)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
    X