Zoom using scroll wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bohdan View Post
    Just because no other aplication uses it does not mean we can't. It's innovative.
    Actually the Image Zoom add-on for the Gecko (Mozilla) rendering engine has had this feature for many years — it's actually quite useful & nice to use.

Comment

If you install AutoHotkey you can use this simple script to force mousewheel up/down to act as Ctrl+mwheel up/down.

#IfWinActive ahk_class IrfanView
      SendMode Input

*$WheelUp::
      Send {LCtrl down}{WheelUp}{LCtrl up}
      return

*$WheelDown::
      Send {LCtrl down}{WheelDown}{LCtrl up}
      return

Comment

Delving into ideas some more

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        Sorry, Bohdan, I find it difficult to see why this is so Awesome. I realize that your right mouse button + wheel is a one handed operation whereas Ctrl+wheel requires two, but what do you want to do with the other hand anyway? I do not know of any other application that uses this method, or even if it is possible.
        Well, in fairness, I can think of instances where a person would want to use Irfanview using ONLY their mouse, and not their keyboard.
        Specifically, if a person had a wireless RF mouse, and was watching movies or slideshows via IrfanView at a distance from their monitor (like if they were in a recliner chair), then it might be helpful to have "increased" functionality for mouse input.

Such increased functionality might include being able to zoom in on images using the RIGHT-MOUSE-BUTTON in tandem with the MOUSE-WHEEL.

But, I do agree that for most users, it would not be a feature they would frequently need. Moreover, the AHK script posted in this thread:

If you install AutoHotkey you can use this simple script to force mousewheel up/down to act as Ctrl+mwheel up/down.

#IfWinActive ahk_class IrfanView
        SendMode Input

*$WheelUp::
        Send {LCtrl down}{WheelUp}{LCtrl up}
        return

*$WheelDown::
        Send {LCtrl down}{WheelDown}{LCtrl up}
        return

seems like it would well accommodate those persons that would like this additional "RIGHT-MOUSE-BUTTON in tandem with the MOUSE-WHEEL" functionality.

HAVING SAID THAT...

What might also be a good idea would be openly showcase this and other IrfanView-related AHK scripts on the IrfanView website for "power users" to peruse and implement as they see fit.

Comment

Pleasently surprised!

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Hold down the control key and then scroll with the mouse-scroll wheel.
          My previous post notwithstanding...
          I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS POSSIBLE UNTIL TODAY!

This is freakin' amazing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	deadpool head explosion exploding mind blown exploitable transparent background MYOC REMADE 2012.png
Views:	1
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	80919

How was it that I didn't know about this? Was it not a clearly identified feature in the IrfanView documentation or dialog-menus?

Comment

Originally posted by MercWithMouth View Post
            How was it that I didn't know about this? Was it not a clearly identified feature in the IrfanView documentation or dialog-menus?
            Probably because you didn't read or search the Help file (F1).
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Probably because you didn't read or search the Help file (F1).
              Heh. Well... yes and no.
              I've looked at the "HOTKEYS" page in the Help file dozens of times, in the past.
              But, I'm only now seeing it in there so I guess I missed it the previous times.
              Come to think of it, many times when I go into the Help file (particularly the HOTKEYS page), I come back knowing a trick or two that I didn't know before (or at least not consciously).

For instance, I saw that you can press "SHIFT+T" to instantly highlight the "file index" box.

Hmmm. Do you know if there is a "TIP OF THE DAY AT STARTUP" option for IrfanView?

Comment

No, there is no "Tip of the day" for Irfanview. I cannot imagine how you would pick which tips to include. I could think of hundreds. Although I think they are useful for new users they soon start to annoy rather than inform.

Anyway, here is my tip of the day.
                For all those users who want to zoom Irfanview from the other side of the room with their wireless mouse. Take a look at "Sticky keys" in the Windows accessibility options "Change how your keyboard works". Turn on Sticky keys and check the option "Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row". Then before you leave your computer just double click the Control key before settling down in your armchair to zoom away to your heart's content with just the mouse wheel.

Comment

I just registered to say that I use a free utility called "X-Mouse Button Control" to intercept the wheel scroll and use it for zooming.

I hope this helps other users with disabilities (only one hand etc.).

Comment

Hello; I apologize for this necro-post for a thread started five years ago, but I promise this is relevant.

I am also very interested in using the scroll-wheel to zoom in/out, and this thread is labeled as "implemented" but I can't find any option in the settings to activate this feature.

I just installed this program at work because the windows photo viewer just spontaneously changed the mouse wheel functionality, and I have to hold down control to zoom now. I grabbed irfanview because I thought that either it would work the way I want or allow me to change the settings. But I can't find any option to change what the scroll wheel does, making this program just as useless to me as the photo-viewer Microsoft made.

Am I looking in the wrong spot? Do I have to edit an ini file? The thread is labeled as "implemented" but how do I actually activate this feature?

Or is this "implemented" just referring to the control+wheel option?
                    If so, I would like to officially request an option to make the scroll wheel zoom just by itself.
                    I understand that this can screw with some people's process, so I'm just asking for it to be an option I can change in the settings.

And while on the subject, an option to make the arrow-keys move to the next/previous image in the folder even when I'm zoomed in would be sweet. I know a lot of folks at my job would love to have a program that does that.
                    Last edited by Marscaleb; 26.07.2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marscaleb View Post
                      The thread is labeled as "implemented" but how do I actually activate this feature?
                      Or is this "implemented" just referring to the control+wheel option?

If so, I would like to officially request an option to make the scroll wheel zoom just by itself.
                      I understand that this can screw with some people's process, so I'm just asking for it to be an option I can change in the settings.
                      And while on the subject, an option to make the arrow-keys move to the next/previous image in the folder even when I'm zoomed in would be sweet. I know a lot of folks at my job would love to have a program that does that.
                      Look at the first 2 posts and you will see that the OP did not ask to zoom with the mousewheel "just by itself". After being told that it could be done by holding down the Ctrl key, they never posted again. So perhaps it was considered to be already implemented way back then.
                      Marking it implemented does not seem to have stopped others (including yourself) from using the thread to ask for their own variations on the theme though.
                      There is also another even longer running thread somewhere nearby named "Option to disable scroll wheel next/prev but not next/prev buttons" that adds still more views on how this should be implemented. Neither of them is likely to get anywhere IMHO.

Since I last posted to this thread more than 4 years ago, I have used the Windows feature "Sticky keys" several times. It is a bit bizarre but with it I find I can do just what some of you have requested. With the Ctrl key "stuck" down you can zoom all you like with just the mouse wheel, with no danger of jumping to another image.
                      In a window you can scroll the zoomed-in image either by dragging the scrollbar handles with the left mouse button or dragging the image itself with the right and you can move to next/previous using Space/Backspace keys from any zoom size. In Fullscreen the mouse buttons move you on, but you cannot easily scroll a zoomed in image. So zoom out, move the cursor over what you want to enlarge and zoom in again.

Give it a try. More tips if you ask for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X