Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did v4.25 limit pix saves to 640x480 pixels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did v4.25 limit pix saves to 640x480 pixels?

I normally install IV uploads when I find them, without regard to features being deleted. I was recommending it to another friend, via email, for win 7 on an HP dv7 notebook, when I checked to verify the download links. I got to CNet at
    http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3...?tag=mncol;pop , and saw the reviews, then found this one that rejected the upgrade:

3 stars

Version: IrfanView 4.25

"very good for small pics, not for large pics"

by darrylcoan on December 2, 2009

Pros: I like the way it works and the ease with which it works. or used to.

Cons: the new version of IFANVIEW does not alow me to save pictures I have from the past that are larger than 640x480 pixels.
    I've become frustrated with it. I've used Irfanview for years, but I'm going to go with something else.

I will not upgrade if this is true. My inkling is that the user may have struck the old jpeg2000 .jp2 free limit of 640x480. Normally, an experienced user would not fall into this trap.

Are there any new graphics file size limits in v4.25 that were not in 4.20?

If not, why does anyone think the user had this problem?

The limitation applies to JP2 files only. Save as JP2 uses a plugin. See this thread.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Something has to be done about that format selection drop-down. It seems to default to JP2 in a new installation now, and people who make assumptions and don't look are muddying everyone else's waters.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thank you,
        This is what I expected. Since I had not loaded 4.25 yet, I had not verified the problem with default dropdown menu being .jp2, with its longstanding 640x480 limit.

I will warn my friend about the default. And, I will install 4.25.

BTW, 2 favorite features are the lossless rotation and the lossless crop. This crop is great for submitting photos for printing.

Comment

Lossless crop ?
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yep. It's too new for us old fogies to remember.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
            X