Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RW2 resolution is wrong from Panasonic GF1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RW2 resolution is wrong from Panasonic GF1.

I have some photos from a Panasonic GF1 camera. The .jpg files are fine, but the raw files (.RW2 format using the plugin) always come up at 1920x1280 instead of their actual size of 4000x2672. SilkyPix, the software that came with the camera, and Picasa load the proper size. I am new to IrfanView. Is there a setting I am missing?

This might be a bug, because when I zoom the .RW2 file into show at 4035x2690, I can see that it really has the resolution of about 4000x2672. However, it says 1920x1280 in the lower left of the screen, and when I save it it saves an image 1920x1280 resolution.

I have uploaded a sample image at http://xpda.com/P1000314.RW2

Thanks!

In Options, Properties, Plugins, uncheck "Load half sized image."

I presume that this is the default setting because IrfanView is primarily an image viewer, not a Photo Editing program, and speed is important in browsing large format images.

If you're zooming in and the resolution still seems high, maybe you have "Use Resample for Zooming" on in View, Display Options menu. I recommend disabling it for large images — it is very slow.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I already tried unchecking this option, but it makes no difference. I also exited and restarted the program. Are there any other possibilities?

Comment

Confirmed. I don't know if this is a bug or just a limitation of the plugin. Probably a bug.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It looks like this problem is because IrfanView always reads the preview image in the .rw2 file rather than the full image.

Comment

Looks like this problem has not been resolved yet. I have a Panasonic DMC FZ200 and Irfanview refuses to read in the RW2 RAW files at full resolution. Instead of giving me pictures of 4016 x 3016 to work on, they only come out as 1920 x 1440. I have ploughed through all the resolution-related settings that I can find but nothing seems to make any difference. Copying and pasting a RAW image from Irfanview into other apps shows that the images are indeed read by Irfanview as 1920 x 1440, so it is a file reading issue not just a size labelling issue. Other apps such as SilkyPix and Lightzone read images correctly at 4016 x 3016.
            This all means that I have to use these other apps to work on the pictures but I would prefer to use Irfanview, particularly for batch conversion. Shame, as it's such a good application otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X