Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please add one more IPTC tag/field next version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Please add one more IPTC tag/field next version?

iView/Expression Media call it "Event," XnView and others call it "JobID," and I've been Google-ing my mouse-clicking hand sore trying to see if there's an IIM or XMP code or reference to it.

My particular reason for requesting it has to do with slideshows. I typically have the filename, width x height, zoom size, index displayed on one line, Credit on the next, and Original Transmission Reference on the next. My own way of using Event/JobID is to describe the picture content a little more than what's allowed or expected in an Original Transmission Reference. For instance an Event of "On The Beaches" as a finer point on a picture's Trans. Ref. of "Bikini Girls." I'd like to be able to change that last line of info displayed during a slideshow to Original Transmission Reference, space, slash, space, Event.

Thanks in advance. Or thanks for giving it some consideration, in any event (npi).

BZT
    There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Can you put that info in the Comments field? Would that solve your problem?
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Since starting this thread, I've found out that the "official" name for this field is "FixtureID". Now that Irfan et al know the name, it should be easy to puzzle out how to code it in to a future version, presuming he/they are so inclined.

Or Irfan could "go whole hog," get ahead of the game, and look into integrating parts of such open-source utilities as Exiv2, Exiftool or ImageMagick. I doubt there'd be another thread like this one if he and his coding colleagues put in the work.

BZT
      Last edited by Silversleeves; 27.01.2010, 06:45 AM. Reason: Brainstorm idea.
      There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Hopefully a temporary alternative

I've taken to using "Object Name" as a place to put the tag data from "Fixture ID," and even wrote a BASH script that tells exiv2 to do exactly this whenever data in the latter "position" is found in a file. But with literally thousands of pics tagged in iView Media Pro/MSXM2 and other apps that make use of the latter tag field, it's a daunting prospect to have to run this script on all such JPEG files.

The comment field would be feasible, except in this or that odd file I already have comments I'd like to preserve. I shouldn't have to go back to back-up copies of such files to discover what the comment was supposed to be.

I think it would be simpler for Irfan to take up my second suggestion (post of the 18th January) and borrow more opensource code from established sources. It would put him and his flagship project ahead of the game and save space on this Forum for (what would then be) pointless questions like the one I'm asking.

BZT

Comment

And after making what I thought was a reasonable concession...

...a disappointment or two was right around the corner. This is what I mean.

BZT

Comment

Working...
          X