Attachment fails to Attach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attachment fails to Attach

I don't know if this is related to the new forum, but uploading certain attachments failed for me. Other smaller and larger files worked fine. The attachments were within the allowed limits, but I got a blank screen during upload using, Upload Files from your Computer, and Upload Files from a Website.

An example attachment that failed to upload is available here.

I have the same problems. Renaming or resaving the file doesn't help.

It may be a temporary problem. I got a message that the connection was closed by the remote server. Try again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.01.2010, 10:57 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, thanks for looking into it.
      Last edited by Skippybox; 12.01.2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        It may be a temporary problem. I got a message that the connection was closed by the remote server. Try again tomorrow.
        Tried again today, but it still refuses to attach. Must be an incorrect forum setting that is restricting it?

Comment

I am able to attach other files, including a PNG so what is it about that one?

After cropping it to reduce the height, it attaches OK.

If I reduce it in both height and width it attaches OK too.

I assume there is a limit to the number of pixels in the image.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.01.2010, 09:07 PM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's just the thing, other PNGs will attach that are even larger. The image I tried is only 1016x1922, but I am able to attach an image that is 3300x2550 (see below). So, what could it be about just that particular size or aspect ratio?

I agree there might be some finite limit in dimensions (server memory), but the attachment key gives no dimensional limits for PNG or most of the others. Therefore, if such limits exist they should be posted.
            Attached Files

Comment

Strange indeed.

Reducing the colours to 256 solves the problem.
              So does increasing the canvas size slightly.

Rotating the image to change the aspect ratio doesn't help, and nor does crushing it with PNG Crush.
              Attached Files

Comment

Maybe steve will know if he reads this.

BTW, what size canvas did you succeed with?

Comment

Five pixels more on right and bottom, white background.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    Five pixels more on right and bottom, white background.
                    Tried twice, doesn't work. You sure you used the original 24-bit PNG?

Comment

BTW, I tried a 24-bit version of the other 3300x2550 image to make sure it wasn't just 8-bit that uploads at that size, and it uploaded, too!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Skippybox; 11.01.2010, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Not too sure. It doesn't work for me now either. Perhaps it was the 256 colour version.

Comment

Oh well, let's leave it at that until steve responds. Thanks for all your efforts, Bhikkhu Pesala.

Comment

Working...
                          X