thumbnail question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thumbnail question

I have a project. I have several thousand items that are various sizes and vary tall and wide. I need to make the images square regardless of their size and if they are tall or wide. I was hoping I could use this program possibly to do a batch and have it create a thumbnail of each image that is 500 x 500 pixels. So if the image was previously 200 x 600 you could still see all of the image but it would now be 500 x 500 shrunk down a little or expanded in other cases.

Is this possible? Any other solutions?

Thanks.
    Dave

You can either use another program (e.g. Faststone) with such a batch canvas resizing feature OR use IrfanView's contact sheet creator.

It is located in Thumbnails (T) in File, Create contact sheet from selected files. Use 500x500 pixels, 1x1 columns/rows, Stretch small images, and Save all pages as files. The files will be named as sheets, so you would have to run them through a file list renamer if you need the original names. If that is the case and that is not easy for you, it may be easier to use Faststone instead to retain the names.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 12.01.2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

No prob. Simplest batch way #1, use the batch resize, with Advanced options, and set the Advanced dialog as in the attached screenshot (except you pick the numbers). This gives you the strethced/squashed version.

Simplest way #2, from the thumb browser, first set the thumbnail size to whatever you want (Options--Set thumbnail options). Then select the pics you want to resize, and go to File--Save selected thumbs as single images. They will be saved as neat squares with the image undistorted, and the thumbnail background filling in.
      Attached Files
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
        Simplest way #2, from the thumb browser, first set the thumbnail size to whatever you want (Options--Set thumbnail options). Then select the pics you want to resize, and go to File--Save selected thumbs as single images. They will be saved as neat squares with the image undistorted, and the thumbnail background filling in.
        I've always passed on that route for a couple of reasons. One, your only output choice is JPG (ugh!). Second, there are only a few choices for thumb sizes available. And third, in some instances, you could run into this problem. But, it does nicely keep the file names.

Way #1 works great in a pinch, but is usually too distorted (for me anyway ).

Comment

If all one wants is thumbs for a webpage, it serves the purpose well enough, and it is the best way to get undistorted thumbs with uniform proportions. The size and format could be changed in one more batch op.
          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

It definitely does serve well enough. I would use it in many cases.

My only quibble is that even at JPG's 100 quality and 4:4:4 subsampling, you can still spot errors in certain thumbs with the eye. So, another batch op to change to lossless PNG (which also can deliver better filesizes sometimes) really won't help. It is pretty nice to do an operation all in one step. That is why Faststone is so handy.

Comment

Eh. Thumbs are thumbs. Perfect is for the originals.
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
              X