Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seeking definitions, guidlines for "Config" settings in Kadmos plug-in, (OCR)

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Thumbs up

Like ggia, I too do not find the KADMOS OCR Plug-in too useful, as it gives too many errors. Besides, KADMOS has a mind-boggling variety of settings which I do not have the time (or inclination) to study!

Here is a comparison of FreeOCR and KADMOS, on a small, single-column of text: the original is the scan of a newspaper article, which you can see in the FreeOCR Window. The OCR results are for the second column of text in the Newspaper article. The settings used for both FreeOCR and KADMOS are their respective defaults.

Clearly, even in this tiny picture, FreeOCR gives significantly better results! Since we are comparing freeware, I think IrfanView will definitely benefit by switching from KADMOS to FreeOCR!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FreeOCR_Kadmos.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	2064  
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 14.01.2010 at 03:59 AM.

Yes. A plugin using the open-source Tesseract OCR engine would be nice. FreeOCR does not seem to support command-line operation.

EDIT: OCRopus might be the solution in the future.
    Last edited by teohhanhui; 16.01.2010 at 10:25 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Welcome to the Forum, teohhannui.

OCROpus still seems to be some time in the making, but could be worth watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    FreeOCR is one of the programs on my review pages.

Its fine for occasional use. To be honest, for anything more than occasional use it would be better to buy Abbyy FineReader Pro or similar.
    I know this is a necrothread, but since others are bound to skip to the bottom of the thread in the future and see the last post for the recommended software to do OCR ... I just have to say (since nobody else has yet) that I found FreeOCR to be exceptionally good. I have no idea why I'd need anything else. There's no malware or nagware or anything associated with it as far as I can tell. Not even on install.

I'd like to know what advantages abbyy-finereader-pro has that FreeOCR doesn't have. I'll admit the one thing I wish FreeOCR did was parse together each paragraph into it's own line, but I just made an open-office spreadsheet that does that for me: http://liveinterface.com/davea0511fi...20COMBINER.zip

Just saying. Try FreeOCR before you decide to drop a wad-o-cash.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by davea0511 View Post
    I'd like to know what advantages abbyy-finereader-pro has that FreeOCR doesn't have. I'll admit the one thing I wish FreeOCR did was parse together each paragraph into it's own line,
    Pro OCR Software will preserve formatting, recognising fonts, etc. Free OCR has a button to remove line breaks. Never having had the need to use OCR for more than a page I am also happy to use Free OCR. I doubt whether its limited feature set would satisfy someone using OCR regularly.

Thread Information