Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking definitions, guidlines for "Config" settings in Kadmos plug-in, (OCR)

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    64-bit Win Vista Home Premium
    CPU Cores

Default Seeking definitions, guidlines for "Config" settings in Kadmos plug-in, (OCR)

The Kadmos plug-in for IrfanView does not have a Help option in its "Config" window.
    Altering even one default setting can produce improved OCR recognition, as for example, deselecting "spot removal".
    However, many words used within "Config" are not intuitively obvious. Examples of that are "reject limit", "reject level", and "alternative segmentation". Also, the number of possible configuration choices is very large so discovering optimum settings becomes a challenge of trail-and-error.
    Where can I find definitions and guidelines for "Config" so I can get better Kadmos results? Thank you.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I don't see any meaningful help file. I would suggest looking around the Kadmos Site and contacting them for some user-friendly documentation. Perhaps it has not be written yet. All I could find looked like a programmer's manual.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    CPU Cores

Default Building a record of "Config" experiments

I will pursue that. Thank you.
    Meanwhile I am building a record of my "Config" experiments.
    [/FONT
    [/SIZE]]

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Please let us know if you find out anything useful. I am sure others will be interested.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    CPU Cores

Default Kadmos developers' manual

Kadmos' down-loadable developer's manual seems to be of little use to users, although this parenthetical statement is included: "The characters given under font have to be at least 10 pixels in width, but maximum 20 pixels (xminmax). The height of the characters is at least 15 pixels, but maximum 30 pixels (yminmax)." I have not examined the manual further. I did send a query re user manual to the North American Kadmos representative as listed at the Kadmos site.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    CPU Cores

Kadmos' response to my request for a guide to Config use was this on 12 Jan 2010:

"Thank you for using KADMOS within Irfanview.
    That integration is intended as a demo to showcase the powerful functionality available in the KADMOS SDK.
    The options are described in detail in the manual, but from a developer's perspective.

http://www.rerecognition.com/www_re09/book/_start.htm

>From the online manual...

reject_limit

The value of this parameter determines the level of confidence (rec_value) for which alternatives are provided internally and returned in the recognition results. This has significant impact on computing time. The default value is 150.

alternative segmentaion (in bold below)

typograph
    This parameter allows to submit additional information to the REL and REP modules about the given images to simplify and speed up segmentation (if such information is available). The predefined parameter values below can be combined using the logical OR operator "|" as long as the combinations make sense. Of cause, not all combinations make sense.
    For REL and REP:

TYPO_PROPORTIONAL

Proportional spacing is assumed.

TYPO_EQUIDISTANT

Equidistant spacing (fixed or monospacing) is assumed.

TYPO_NOLIGATURES

With many fonts, but especially with handprint, some neighbouring characters may overlap, and touch each other. This is called a 'ligature'. Segmenting ligatures is a difficult problem and requires special algorithms. With fonts such as equidistant machine print there are normally no ligatures, so the related algorithms can be switched off. In this case this value must be set.

TYPO_NOTOUCHINGCHARS

No attached characters are assumed.

TYPO_NOSEGALTERNATIV

Segmentation into single characters is the most difficult task in character recognition. If characters are badly recognized, KADMOS tries alternative possibilities for segmentation. To switch this off (for example, if very good images are to be recognized) this value must be set.

TYPO_4_SEGALTERNATIV, TYPO_8_SEGALTERNATIV

4 or 8 segmentation alternatives are possible.

TYPO_KEEPIMG

For good segmentation it is insufficient to describe the segmented characters (lines or dots) by their surrounding rectangle only. If there is a need for direct access to the segmented images, then they must be stored separately, and this parameter value has to be set. The segmented images then can be accessed through result_image.

reject level (not directly defined as part of the API)

Controls at what confidence level, a character result is replaced by an internal function, by the default reject character. <end of Kadmos' response for help>

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

I think writing a report about the configuration would be very useful !
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    CPU Cores

Default Remove Kadmos as a plug-in, replace with FreeOCR

Owing to the lack of a Kadmos user guide and owing to Kadmos' lackluster desire to provide help, I have abandoned further research into that IrfanView plug-in. However, I would like to alert the forum about a superior and 100% free OCR program. While Kadmos for IrfanView, with much tweaking, still produced more than 25 errors in the conversion in a column of text, FreeOCR produced only two, and those were hyphens. The program is well-designed and intutive. According to its Help button, FreeOCR, V.3.0, Jan 2010, was written by Ralph Richardson using Tesseract v2.04. It operates under Apache License, Version 2.0. The program is available at www.paperfile.net and is registered to Ralph Richardson 4 Victoria Avenue, Hornsea, HU181NH UK. The program declares there is no support because it has no staff. I have been unable to find Richardson via typical searches, and I do not know if the address above is for the ISP or for Richardson or for both. This person needs to be told that he has provided an immense service to writers. IrfanView should look into this program as a replacement plug-in for Kadmos.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

FreeOCR is one of the programs on my review pages.

Its fine for occasional use. To be honest, for anything more than occasional use it would be better to buy Abbyy FineReader Pro or similar.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    FreeOCR is one of the programs on my review pages.

Its fine for occasional use. To be honest, for anything more than occasional use it would be better to buy Abbyy FineReader Pro or similar.
    Your reviews are most useful. I downloaded Jarte at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/...tml/jarte.html and have enjoyed it.

Thread Information