Zoom is VERY slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom is VERY slow

I've been using IrfanView for many years and recently got a new computer using XP on which I installed the latest version (4.25) of IV.

Now when I use the mouse to select a small area (zooming way in ~500%) and then click the zoom, it takes a LONG time (20+ seconds). Even if I click the "+" icon to zoom in, once I get zoomed in a few levels, it's really slow (10+ seconds). Even when I click the "-" button to zoom back out, it's very slow.

This didn't happen on the old computer (don't know which version of IV that was). The new computer is faster than the old one. I've already reinstalled IV and IV plugins but no change.

I've looked through the settings, but must have missed something.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Mei2Qiang2; 13.01.2010, 09:08 PM.

Hi Mei2Qiang2,

This is not a bug!
    There are only some hidden options!
    Turn off all (or some of the four possible) resample options!

see:
    - "Probleme bei Änderung der Vergrößerung"
    - "Zooming can be really slow on Windows 7 x64"

regards
    Frank

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the help Frank. The resolution is a little worse that way, but it's faster.

Funny how I had searched the forums for "slow zoom" and "zoom slow" and didn't find the thread you referenced. Maybe something is wrong with the forum search function.

Comment

Originally posted by Mei2Qiang2 View Post
        Funny how I had searched the forums for "slow zoom" and "zoom slow" and didn't find the thread you referenced. Maybe something is wrong with the forum search function.
        You're right, at the moment the search is broken, it searches only in the threads created after the last update (~2 weeks ago).
        IrfanPaint developer
        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Make sure you read that thread carefully, it has good information. Don't forget to try the updated version, which corrects a few portions of the slow behavior.

By its very nature, resampling is still a slow process in IrfanView depending on the image. You still have to adjust the four options from their defaults to suit yourself and the conditions.

Comment

Working...
          X