Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested modern color corrections

Goog day!
    I´d like to suggest an improvement of the "color corrections" function.

The single way to fix any color errors was in most applications dragging of R-G-B sliders.
    But the 'ideology' of correcting images by manipulating with RGB channels is:
    1) inconvenient for visual correction (it is like a changing picture using buttons on the monitor)
    2) it's very rough method
    3) it's not allow to change lights and shadows separately
    So changing R-B-G chanels directly very often produces new errors, instead of proper correction.

Could developers of Irfan View make more convenient method?
    I guess, there are some variants:
    - a mosaic of small windows with Variations: more Red, more Cyan, more Yellow, more Green, more Magenta, more Blue. And 2 sliders for strength of changes in shadows and in lights, etc.
    - slider for color temperature and tint (or, may be! several tints).
    - or LCH-sliders. Such as for shadows: lightness, chroma, hue and the same for lights. Or chroma (saturation) can be changed in gray range and in vivid color range separately.
    - or, at last, color circle with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta sectors for visual dragging of some markers.
    For example, dots on color sectors (correlative to the colors of current image).

Agree, any variant will be far more convenient for human eye than changing gamma in channels directly.
    Last edited by xuser; 07.03.2010, 05:39 PM.

I think the colour corrections are good enough for IV. If you want more/different there are lots and lots of filters out there, some of them addressing these issues. See this thread for more: http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/show...effect-plugins
    You might even decide to write your own: http://www.filtermeister.com

As for the "Variations" I have always found this the most inadequate feature, but then of course you are entitled to your way of working.

As for LCH, would this plugin be of use to you: http://sites.google.com/site/clifframes/ciecam02plugin ?

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
      As for LCH, would this plugin be of use to you: http://sites.google.com/site/clifframes/ciecam02plugin ?
      Thanks! It is very interesting plug-in.

Meanwhile, native colour corrections in IV could be more friendly!

Comment

update.
        My idea represented as "screenshots".

1. Variations

2. Visual correction with some sliders
        Attached Files

Comment

Really nice samples, I'd really like to have them implemented.
          IrfanPaint developer
          The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
          IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hi all!
            A correction for the color temperature would be welcome for all photographers!
            --
            Antonio A.

Comment

Originally posted by xuser View Post
              Could developers of Irfan View make more convenient method?
              - or LCH-sliders. Such as for shadows: lightness, chroma, hue and the same for lights. Or chroma (saturation) can be changed in gray range and in vivid color range separately.
              It definitely needs a HUE slider. I have an image that has the wrong HUE and I have had a bafflingly difficult time trying to find a quick and easy way to adjust the HUE without resorting to bloated graphics-editing packages like Photoshop or GIMP. I was quite shocked to see that IV had no HUE slider; there are brightness, gamma, contrast, and saturation sliders, but no HUE‽

Comment

FastStone Viewer has this if you need it. Like IrfanView, it is free for non-commercial use.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by aangelo View Post
                  Hi all!
                  A correction for the color temperature would be welcome for all photographers!
                  Antonio A.
                  There is a color temperature correction in the Effects browser - Image >Effects >Effect browser (or Ctrl+E). It is right at the bottom so you have to scroll down to it. That's why most people miss it.

Edit: Whoops. I have just noticed that was a really old post from aangelo.
                  Last edited by Mij; 10.02.2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X