Lasso function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Lasso function

Would appreciate a new function "Lasso" like the one you can find in f.i. PAINT.NET

I would fancy a freehand selection as well, but this is quite an old request.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Han Kortekaas. Indeed, this is quite an old request, however I guess that with the Forum going through a recent upgrade, the Search facility isn't up yet.

The Lasso function would mean that IrfanView will need a lot more memory - and that is not what IrfanView wants to be! Someone - perhaps Sam (I too am also handicapped by the lack of the Search function) - suggested Antonia Da Cruz 'PhotoFiltre, in that Thread. It has the Lasso function and many other useful features as well. I use it occasionally for freehand selection and find it is quite useful!
      Last edited by WellOiledPC; 15.01.2010, 09:03 AM.
      Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
      IrfanView Website - Here
      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
      Author's Website - Here

Comment

And then there is the "Snipping Tool" already built into WinVista and Win7.

It has a nice set of lassoing and screen grab functions built into it (Freehand, Rectangle, Window and Full Screen). So, once you "Snip" you do a simple paste (^V) to put it into an open IrfanView window.
        Last edited by ChuckE; 16.01.2010, 12:01 AM.
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Hmmm, the Snipping tool of Windows 7 and Vista does not allow the "Lasso". To build in the Lasso function, I understand that IrfanView will need to work with layers, thus increasing program size as well as resource requirements. PhotoFiltre and PaintStar are freeware, usable and quite capable.
          IrfanView Website - Here
          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
          Author's Website - Here

Comment

Well, I started to wonder if I had the correct idea of what is meant by the "Lasso," so I went to a page that describes the Photoshop Lasso function.
            See: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/La...explained-4615

The way I interpret what is said on that page, it seems to me that the Snipping tool pretty much works the same way. It says:
            "To make a selection with the Lasso Tool (shortcut L) simply drag the lasso around the area you want to select."
            And here is a snip I made using the Win7 Snipping Tool:
            Attached Files

Comment

Ah, the creator of this thread has never returned, so we will not know what exactly he wants from his Lasso... As for me, I interpreted "Lasso" to be a freehand selection tool that lets you select portions of images. For example, if you want to select the balloon alone and exclude all the blue in your image. And since I have gone back to XP, I have no way to check whether Windows 7/ Vista's "Lasso" lets you make freehand selections!

P.S.: I hate doing freehand selections - so time-consuming, plus one mistake means you have to start all over again!
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

The Lasso in Paint.net that the OP requested does appear to be just a freehand selection tool rather like that illustrated by ChuckE. In Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photopaint (and probably other Apps that I have not used) the lasso is a much more sophisticated tool that you apply just like a freehand selection but when you finish drawing it automatically shrinks down around any enclosed object such as the balloon in ChuckE's image, rather like a lasso being tightened around it.

Comment

Paintshop Pro has the same features. Another freehand selector is FastStone Capture.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

FWIW, the snipping tool does include freeform select (lasso). The "New" button has a drop-down next to it that allows you to choose the selection mode (lasso, rectangular, etc).

Comment

That was already shown in Msg#6.

Comment

Working...
                      X