Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Version 4.25 exif data lost

Hi All forumites,
    I am new to this forum and hope it is still active.
    Been using Irfanview for a very long time but now that I need my images EXIF data I realise that it is removed the minute I save my file after editing.
    I have read the same reports at other forums. I think I have all the plug-inns correct but this is debateable with my 1/2 brain cell
    Is this fact and will it get sorted out sometime or must I move on somewhere else?
    Please help.......best wishes to all 2010
    Johan

Welcome to the Forum, wjmc. There is no such 'Bug' in IrfanView 4.25, or earlier versions.

You need to check whether you have enabled (ticked) the option, 'Keep original EXIF data', under the Save dialog box.

If you have not ticked this, your saved picture will have no EXIF data. Similarly if you have not ticked the other 'Keep original' data, those data will not appear in your saved image!
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Tnx for yr input WellOiledPC, but they are all ticked
      EXIF, IPTC and JPG comment. If you are a user of this software, please tell me whether you
      have the "Save as progressive JPG" enabled or not??
      I think I have just come across the possible problem. If the Progressive jpg box is enabled it removes the exif data, if you disable it
      it removes the IPTC data but now saves the exif data/..Whether you have enabled them or not.
      So the key seems to be the first box. Tnx again, appreciated.

Comment

Nope my guess was wrong. Does not matter what the combination, it removes the EXIF data.
        Whether I save as progressive or not. I dont think there are other places where you change the Save dialog box.
        I have just tried it with 5 files and all data was removed.

Comment

The only way I can reproduce this is by making the INI file read-only. Is the "Keep exif" box checked or unchecked when the dialog first opens?
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Tnx Matera for trying to help. The box is checked and has always been checked.

Comment

Meh. We have a mystery
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

I'm nonplussed too! Trust the original file had EXIF info in it...

Here are my settings for JPG/ GIF save, as requested. I do not lose my EXIF info with these settings.
                Attached Files
                IrfanView Website - Here
                Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                Author's Website - Here

Comment

Tnx WO-PC, and matera,
                  Tnx for the attachment. That in fact has now made me see my problem clearly. I must apollogize profusely for not mentioning the one magic word.
                  My images are in RAW format and when saving from Irfanview it is changed to jpg and it is then that the
                  EXIF data are lost. My settings are exactly like yours and I have been using IrfanView for years and never has this happened to me
                  and now I realise that for the last 4 months I have started to take my photos only in RAW and not JPG with my DSLR. Thats when I started to notice that my data
                  went missing and therefore I cld no longer use IrfanView which according to me, is one of the finest software in use.
                  Tnx fr your help unless you tell me that yours works with RAW as well??

Comment

I had wondered about that. There's another thread somewhere about EXIF not carrying over from RAW. Had we known... *shrug*
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

wjmc, glad your problem is now resolved! And its ok, we all make silly mistakes every now and then - helps us stay on-track, doesn't it?

matera, the Search feature is still not working after the Forum upgrade - until it is re-incorporated, I think we will see many posts for which answers have already been given...
                      IrfanView Website - Here
                      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                      Author's Website - Here

Comment

Tnx matera, I did apollogise for not mentioning RAW. But then if you think you have seen another thread then I now know that its time
                        to find something that can handle RAW untill such time this problem is sorted out by someone more clever then I am.:-))

Comment

RAW with EXIF -------- conversion with IrfanView 4.25 -----> JPG without EXIF

Is this what you are describing?

After a few hours struggling I gave up. All the time the EXIF data disappeared. Do I have to give up on IrfanView now or is there a solution for this?

Comment

The discussion is closed (not the thread per se, just the discussion) now, but what we were discussing was that under IrfanView, EXIF information does not carry over from RAW.

Just to confirm, JPG files do carry the EXIF information under IrfanView, if that was what you were searching for.
                            IrfanView Website - Here
                            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                            Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
                            X