Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

irfanview says I have no pictures when I do!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

irfanview says I have no pictures when I do!!!

When I doubleclick on a picture (with Irfanview as my default viewer) it opens the image file. But on the toolbar it says picture 0/0, even if I am in a folder of pics. My arrows are grayed out so that I cannot scroll through a folder of pictures. If I go to thumbnails, I see no pictures at all on the right, not even file names. I have tried reinstalling, but no luck.

I am lost on what is causing this! I cannot get Irfanview to show anything, except the picture I originally open. I have seen other posts in the forum, but none like this that I could find. This happens from time to time to me, actually, but usually I can close and reopen Irfanview and it works. But not on this machine!

By the way, this happened on several versions if Irfanview. I know I tried 4.23 and 4.25.
    Specs:
    XP pro
    ASUS mb
    AMD Athlon X2 5600
    2 GB RAM

Does it happen in particular folders or everywhere?
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

It happens in every folder. In thumbnail view, the right side stays completely blank, as if every folder is completely empty.

Comment

One Possible Reason

This has come up before and I think there are multiple conditions that can cause this problem.

One condition is the "load" setting in the Options/Extensions dialog (click on Options -> Set File Associations). Select "Load only associated types while moving..." instead of "Load custom file types". If that fixes the problem, you have a mismatch between the option that controls file "association" and the option that controls file "loading".

File "association" is controlled by list at the top of this dialog. These are the files types that will open IrfanView by double clicking. For example, if JPEG is listed, then double clicking on a file called Photo.jpeg will open the file.

File "loading" is controlled by the extension list next to the "Load custom file types" option. This option controls which files that IrfanView will count, navigate to and display thumbnails for.

For example, suppose the following conditions:
        * JPEG is associated with IrfanView (in the first list)
        * JPEG is not listed as a custom type (i.e., not in the second list)
        * The Load custom file types option is selected
        * Folder has only JPEG files in it
        Double clicking on a file in the folder will open the file in IrfanView (because JPEG is "associated"). The file counter will read 0/0 and the thumbnail window will be empty (because JPEG is not "loadable")

Comment

This still did not fix my problem. I have images associated with Irfanview already, and the custom file types wasn't selected. I tried every possible combination on that dialog box and restarted each time, but nothing worked. Your explanation was very helpful for that screen, though.

Any other thoughts? I REALLY want to use Irfanview. I've used it for YEARS! But, I obviously can't use it if it won't show any pics...

Comment

Is the i_view32.ini writeable (by current user)?
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi pjcg,

Which image formats are affected by this problem? (All or only one?)
              (Please give us two screenshots! One to see: "the toolbar says picture 0/0" and the other one to see: "my arrows are grayed out"!)

And it could be helpfull to have the IrfanView configuration file!
              That's why, please upload also the "i_view32.ini" (compessed as zip file) to the forum!

regards
              Frank

Comment

Same problem here, started about one month ago with no change in Irfanview at all (maybe a Windows update?..). When I double-click on an image, it opens with Irfanview, as it should, but the count shown in the status bar is "0/0". I have re-checked the associated filetypes settings and re-installed Irfanview, nothing changed.
                Any ideas?

Comment

Try redoing the file association settings in IrfanView. Run IrfanView as Administrator, open Settings and set the Extensions.
                  My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I found a fix by setting the "Load custom file types"; for some reason "Load only associated file types while moving through folder" does not work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ssovets View Post
                      I found a fix by setting the "Load custom file types"; for some reason "Load only associated file types while moving through folder" does not work properly.
                      Loading associated file types works fine for me. Go to Windows Settings to associate apps by file type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Choose Apps by File Type.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	83554
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The file associations seem fine...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	83556

Comment

Please cut and paste your code for Custom File Types

JPG|JPEG|GIF|BMP|TIF|TIFF|PNG|PCX|PCD|ICO|WMF|EMF| JP2|J2K|SVG|CRW|NEF|ORF|RAF|CR2|CR3|DN G|WEBP|
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have edited it already, removing all video and audio filetypes (because I don't open them with Irfanview by default); that is the solution I found and use (at least for now).

But I still think the "Load only associated file types..." option should work properly and would be curious to find out where the problem is.
                            Last edited by Ssovets; 02.01.2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

What other file types are associated with IrfanView, besides JPG and JPEG?

What is selected in Settings, Browsing/Editing, If end/begin of folder is reached (during browsing):

Comment

Working...
                              X