Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Enlarging photos/pictures.

  1. #1

    Default Enlarging photos/pictures.

    Hi everybody. Before we go any further I am not brilliant with computers but manage to get by if things dont get too complicated!
    I am after a bit of advice if anyone feels they can help.
    I have thousands of pictures and photos stored [mainly of warships]. I am looking for the cheapest possible programme that will allow me to enlarge some of them. I would like Photozoom but it is way too expensive for me at present.

    Does anybody know of a cheap or free programme that will allow me to enlarge pictures??

    I would appreciate any suggestions!

  2. #2
    Moderator Sam_Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    1,896
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Check out IrfanView
    0.6180339887
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

  3. #3
    Multiple User WellOiledPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    380
    Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores
    6

    Default

    Welcome to the Forum, astraltrader. Perhaps you know this already, but again, maybe it helps...

    You can get by with slight enlargements - maybe 20 to 30% of your images. The larger you enlarge your warships, the more fuzzy they will look. This is of course software-independent
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

  4. #4
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    5,992
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WellOiledPC View Post
    You can get by with slight enlargements - maybe 20 to 30% of your images. The larger you enlarge your warships, the more fuzzy they will look. This is of course software-independent
    Not all software will give the same results. Whether PhotoZoom is worth paying for is debatable. You could try Smilla Enlarger, which is free.

  5. #5
    Moderator Sam_Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    1,896
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    According to Paintshop Pro, the Bicubic resample algoritm is the best when enlarging bitmaps.
    0.6180339887
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

  6. #6
    Multiple User WellOiledPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    380
    Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Not all software will give the same results. Whether PhotoZoom is worth paying for is debatable. You could try Smilla Enlarger, which is free.
    Well astraltrader began his post by saying that he isn't brilliant with computers and I wanted to convey to him that fuzziness is inevitable, whatever software you use (software-independent). Depending on a software's algorithm, the results would be better or worse.
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

  7. #7
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South California
    Posts
    2
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP3
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
    Hi everybody. Before we go any further I am not brilliant with computers but manage to get by if things dont get too complicated!
    I am after a bit of advice if anyone feels they can help.
    I have thousands of pictures and photos stored [mainly of warships]. I am looking for the cheapest possible programme that will allow me to enlarge some of them. I would like Photozoom but it is way too expensive for me at present.

    Does anybody know of a cheap or free programme that will allow me to enlarge pictures??

    I would appreciate any suggestions!
    I am using focus magic to enlarge my pictures and I am quite pleasure with it. It cost $45, but the result is quite good.

    Here is the link:

    http://www.focusmagic.com/

  8. #8
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Another tool you could try is GIMP. It has a lot of functions that you might find useful.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    855
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    8

    Default

    What sizes have the oictures currently and to what size do you like to enlarge them? How did you get the pictures (i.e. did you photograph them with a digital camera)?

  10. #10
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    Some programs are better than others however. I have been quite impressed with Photo Editor.
    For the attachment I took a small 300x225 pixel clip and resampled to double the size (with sharpen) in Irfanview and Photo editor. Irfanview is the top image with Photo editor below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irfanview vs photo editor.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	2788  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •