Irfanview on the Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview on the Mac

Hi all. I've been using Irfanview for many years. I just switched our home computers to Macs and looked around for a replacement. After trying several programs and reading many forums, I agreed with others that there is no good Mac equivalent program!

So, I'm running Irfanview as my main picture viewer and simple editor (Photoshop Express for complicated stuff) under Crossover Office in Snow Leopard. It seems to work fine. I have noticed one weird thing: if I load a file that ends in .jpg and then edit and go to save it, it defaults to saving it as .jpeg - another file - not replacing the original. Any ideas?

Anyone else running the program on a Mac?

David

Must be a Mac thing; I have no experience saving files on a Mac. But I'm glad to hear you are able to run IrfanView. Please stick around to help the other Mac users!
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
      Must be a Mac thing; I have no experience saving files on a Mac. But I'm glad to hear you are able to run IrfanView. Please stick around to help the other Mac users!
      Yeah - I don't ever remember seeing this in Windows. Is there a way to specify the extension that Irfanview uses when saving a file?

Here's the instructions for installing it I got from the Codeweavers forum:

I am using OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and Crossover Pro V8.0.1

Here is how I installed Irfanview 4.25, I made the text below as a How-To
      for my self after reading some of the forum posts.

The installer needs "mfc42.dll" to be placed into

/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/YOUR BOTTLE NAME/drive_c/windows/system32

In the "i_view32.ini" file, delete the two lines below "[Toolbar]", for me
      that was

Skin=Samuel_16.png
      Size=16

The "i_view32.ini" file is located at

/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/YOUR BOTTLE NAME/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView

Comment

Like matera, I too am not a Mac user, but good to have someone like you around here! What you have already shared will, I'm sure, benefit other Mac users!

JPG and JPEG are, I believe, the same file format with different names. You also have variants of the JPG/ JPEG format, like the JIF (JPG Interchange format) and JPE formats. For more details, this is the Home Page of the JPEG Committee.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
          Like matera, I too am not a Mac user, but good to have someone like you around here! What you have already shared will, I'm sure, benefit other Mac users!

JPG and JPEG are, I believe, the same file format with different names. You also have variants of the JPG/ JPEG format, like the JIF (JPG Interchange format) and JPE formats. For more details, this is the Home Page of the JPEG Committee.
          Thanks - I understand about the technical side of the file extension. The problem is that if I load file XXX.jpg and edit and then go to save it, Irfanview is defaulting to save it as XXX.jpeg, so I end up with two files instead of replacing the original one.

Comment

I too do not know why a JPG file from the Mac gets saved as a JPEG file under a Mac running OS X and Crossover Pro.

If you open a 'JPEG' file under Windows/ IrfanView (I mean one that was not created/ edited on a Mac) and save it using the "Save as JPG - JPG/JPEG Format" option, it gets saved with the extension JPG. What happens when you do a "Save as JPG - JPG/JPEG Format" on the Mac-edited JPG, does it still get saved as JPEG?
            Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
            IrfanView Website - Here
            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
            Author's Website - Here

Comment

I cant even download Irfanview on to my snowleopard programme. Does Crossover Office work? sorry I'm new to mac...one month old!

Comment

Working...
              X