Can't find IPTC data when opening in Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find IPTC data when opening in Irfanview

I have the latest Irfanview and plugins. When I open (typically) jpeg photos I have tagged with IPTC data in Itag or other programs none of it shows up in Irfanview for some reason. I have checked out the forum threads on IPTC data and checked my settings. I can see the tags in various other programs but nothing in Irfanview. If I write the data when it is open in Irfanview that is saved and shows up. Something simple wrong here or? Thanks!

let me rephrase/correct my question

After now doing more research using irfanview, itag, and vista (photo properties), I take back what I said before, but still find it problematic that if I use Irfanview to enter IPTC data, "caption" and "headline" data entered do not show up in any info when the photo is opened in itag or vista.

I get the fact that keywords and categories in Irfanview are different things and that itag and vista properties are just very simple tools compared to Irfanview, but I would like to enter data so that a maximum of programs will recognize the info, and right now itag's title, description, tags, and author seem to be more universally recognized than irfanview's headings... Search capability is also important, whatever I do.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

Horses for courses. Use Itag for tagging, and IrfanView for what its good at.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Take it the rest of the way, Irfan!

What turned IrfanView from shareware to freeware? Irfan borrowed some code from open-source repositories.
        What's keeping IrfanView from being able to read in and display all "filled-in" EXIF, IPTC (particularly IPTC) and XMP data in a way that both professional and home-hobbyist users want? Or being ported/compiled for OSes besides Windows? (And anyone who says the app code is too integrated with the Microsoft API is just asking for a pair of rolled eyes pointed their way courtesy of YT.)

Probably because Irfan doesn't want his flagship project and most popular software (sorry for the curse word) product (I already apologized!) becoming a clone of XnView or DigiKam. Or, just as likely, he doesn't want to burden new users with having to install additional software to do certain things with his application program.

Not good enough!

Take it the rest of the way, I say. You'll soon see the disappearance (or at least the withering) of threads like this one, or the "Will there ever be a build for?" threads.

For the metadata, I would suggest checking into exiv2 or Nepomuk/Strigi.

For the cross-compilation, crosstool or as big and thoroughgoing an install of GNU GCC as you can manage.

It just occurred to me: doesn't the media player still require Quick Time? Isn't that "additional software"?

'Nuff said.

BZT
        Last edited by Silversleeves; 23.02.2010, 08:43 PM.
        There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Duh.. Sorry, couldn't find any witty line.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Duh.. Sorry, couldn't find any witty line.
            Point taken.

And I refer all interested parties here to what may prove to be a continuation of the discussion. Nice to draw threads together, isn't it?

BZT
            Last edited by Silversleeves; 03.03.2010, 05:07 AM.
            There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Working...
            X