IrfanView/Ghostscript PDF problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView/Ghostscript PDF problem

Hello. I have a few problem with Irfanview and Ghostscript for reading. It load the PDF just fine but there is a problem with it. Everytime when i load the PDF in Irfanview, it always have additional white space around the PDF for no reason. I'm trying to extract the image from PDF file, i use the image to CBR file for reading comic book. so that why some comic is load with PDF, so i want it extract it to CBR for my own personal use. I thought it was a problem with PDF file, but i check in all three PDF reader (Foxit, Samutra and Xchange) they all showing a correct resolution with no additional white space around it.l It make extracting the image from PDF by using Irfanview/Ghostscript because it show additional white space in every images, it a pain to crop that white space out since the image is randomly spaced somewhere. I have a 20 PDF file with comic in it and they all show the same problem.

I tried to use some free PDF image extracter but they so hard to find a free one. Even some free one cant work it out well like SomePDF Image Extracter, it complaining it not a valid PDF which it is weird since my 3 PDF reader read just fine. so any help on this problem? I finally found an free PDF to Image converter with no watermark. Google failed on finding it. So Bing finally help me to find it. But still i prefer IrfanView to do it for me. But again i was hoping for anyone to find out what is the problem with those white space
    Last edited by DenKonge; 16.02.2010, 05:52 AM.

Hi DenKonge,

No idea what this additional white space is.
    You can extract pages from a PDF with PDF-XChange viewer.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi DenKonge,

I can't see a problem with IrfanView! Everything works fine!

But there are still some questions:
      • Which version of IrfanView you are using?
      • Which version of "postscript.dll" you are using?
      • Which version of Ghostscript you are using?

Please give us a sample pdf file to see (the same problems) what you see!
      (Please upload such file to the forum!)
      It would be also nice to have some screenshots of your IrfanView in action!

regards
      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        Hi DenKonge,

I can't see a problem with IrfanView! Everything works fine!

But there are still some questions:
        • Which version of IrfanView you are using?
        • Which version of "postscript.dll" you are using?
        • Which version of Ghostscript you are using?

Please give us a sample pdf file to see (the same problems) what you see!
        (Please upload such file to the forum!)
        It would be also nice to have some screenshots of your IrfanView in action!

regards
        Frank
        here the one that what it really look like. Yes it is cropped out the image because image is copyrighted by my friend, he give me permission for me to extract with for my personal use. However he requested not to share the world, so i have to respect his wishes. So you only able to see the the image file but image is cropped out. As you can see the image, when loaded in PDF reader, it said it is 396x612, but when i extracted it with Irfanview/Ghostscript, it add white space (above the cropped out frame and beside the cropped out frame), then the pixels of the image become 551x713. As i mean, the additional white space. If i extract the PDF to image by using PDF reader or PDF tools, it will show the 390x612 pixels image without any additional white space. But if i use Irfanview, it just add more bulk to it

My Irfanview is 4.25. I use the old version of Ghostscript because the forum said Irfanview work well with AFPL Ghostscript and the version of it is 8.54. I did installed the GPL Ghostscript before i was aware that Ifranview work with AFPL better. So I changed it to AFPL and it showing the same result anyway. the Postscript.dll is 3.98

Irfanview - 4.25
        Postscript.dll - 3.98
        Ghostscript - (AFPL) 8.54

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
        Hi DenKonge,

No idea what this additional white space is.
        You can extract pages from a PDF with PDF-XChange viewer.

Laurent
        thank you so much for telling me. I thought the extract stuff on PDF xchange was pro version only. But i just realized all i have to right click the document and then export then to export to image, then it extract perfectly. Now im ditching Foxit and using PDF Xchange
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DenKonge; 17.02.2010, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Hi DenKonge,

1. IrfanView v4.25 comes with Postscript.dll v4.24. Download and install a fresh version of the plug-ins. For each new version of IrfanView you should install the matching plug-ins.

2. Since a while, IrfanView can use GPL Ghostscript. Uninstall AFPL 8.54 and update to GPL 8.70. At this time, a more recent version has been released but has not yet a Windows installer.

3. PDFs don't have pixels values (width, height). Only bitmap conversions do, as it is the case for displays with IrfanView and Ghostscript. Its pixels size depends on the settings: Options > Properties/Settings... > PlugIns > Postscript options.

4. Without a test PDF file we can't test.

Laurent
          Last edited by Laurent; 17.02.2010, 09:36 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Also Ghostscript error with PDF

I am having a similar problem.

I have installed Irfanview version 4.25 and plugins. And I have installed Ghostscript 8.70, 64 bit version.

I am running Windows XP Pro 64 bit.

I have files that are normally downloaded with a *.pl extension and then normally saved as PDF files. However Irfanview is telling me:

Decode error. Can't load Ghostscript or Ghostscript error.

Comment

Hi tigergem,

This is not a similar problem. You should have created a new thread for this problem.
              A quick answer: *.pl files are Perl scripts, not PDF files; Ghostscript cannot interpret such files.
              For further discussion about this, please open a new thread.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
              X