Batch slideshow not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch slideshow not working

When I want to start a pre-arranged slideshow via a batch file, irfanview starts with the first picture, showing the picture name but not displaying the picture itself. Advancing through the list results in subsequent picture filenames being superimposed on one another, but none of the pictures themselves show.

The batch file looks like this:

d:\programme\bild_ton\irfan\i_view32.exe /slideshow="E:\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Bilder\Alben\Bali2008\LembonganSept08\lembonganfin al.txt"

Some of the filenames in the list are rather long, e.g.
    AA-BaliLembonganPalatinoLinotypeKursiv72.jpg

One forum member mentioned that the unicode plugin might be responsible for this behaviour, but removing the file ansi2unicode.dll did not bring about any change.

When I copy the pictures to a different directory named (e.g.) TEMP, the show works fine; so the problem might have s.th. to do with the path length.

Changing the picture folder for good would be difficult because my pictures are all organised in a certain way; and I would prefer not to have to alter that organisation just because of IrfanView's needs.

G. Henry

Since the slideshow works with the images in another directory (Temp) then I doubt that the problem is anything to do with either Unicode or path lengths. The symptom you describe sounds as though Irfanview cannot find the image files that are on the list. Are you sure that the path names on the list are where the files are now actually located?
    A very common mistake is to prepare a slideshow list with the files in one place and then move them somewhere else without changing the list to show the new location.

I assume that your drive E: is a CD/DVD since you have the Irfanview program on drive D:? Are the image files on that drive also? If so then check that the list also shows them as being on drive E: .

Comment

Not good to make assumptions. My CD/DVD drive is H.

I think it's the space in one of the directory names. I created a monster nested test directory with random names and copied some long-named pics to it. Made a batchfile and slideshow file list, and it ran fine. Then I put a space in one of the directory names, changed the batchfile to match (adding quotation marks to atone for the space), and it horked. IV couldn't find the files!

The test:
      Works:
      E:\grafix\irfan_view\i_view32.exe /slideshow=L:\pics\000\fhajjjfhhkahjfdhf\jfuuhh8_kk jj\jhfjahkf\aklfddfa\hfjaskjdfjdhfjkhsad.txt

sample file name: snapshot20100214203502.jpg

Doesn't work:
      E:\grafix\irfan_view\i_view32.exe /slideshow="L:\pics\000\fhajjjfh (space) hkahjfdhf\jfuuhh8_kkjj\jhfjahkf\aklfddfa\hfjaskjdf jdhfjkhsad.txt"
      Last edited by matera; 18.02.2010, 04:24 AM. Reason: added example
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi Mij - no, drive D: is my program partition, e: is my data partition. Irfan finds the files alright when I do the slideshow from within Irfan; so names and paths are ok (in fact I copied the pathnames and did not enter them manually). One side note: In my example there is a space at the end, between '...fin' and 'al' which, in reality, is not there. Matera's comment makes an interesting point; in that case, however, a space in the directory name would matter, whereas a space in the file names would not. I do have my doubts, but I'll test it out and let you know.

Thanks for your answers!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
          Not good to make assumptions. My CD/DVD drive is H.
          You are right, of course, Matera. I do find though that stating assumptions does often elicit a clearer reply than asking the direct question. People like telling you that you are wrong.

G.Henry, since Irfanview fails to find your very first image, it might be instructive to set the Slide advancement to manual and Show text to $D$F. You can then see what the program thinks the Folder and Filename are when you launch it.

Comment

... lol ...
            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

As I stated in my initial message, IRFAN DOES show the path and file names...

The program's failure to display the show MUST have to do with long file and/or pathnames, not with blanks in names:

in a test both "new dir" and "newdir" directory worked fine.
              Last edited by G. Henry; 19.02.2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: amendments

Comment

What I meant was to check that the whole path and filename were displayed. If Irfanview can display both path and filename complete and accurate it must have read them correctly and we may then assume that there is a bug.

Comment

THe WHOLE path and file name WERE displayed!

However: a closer inspection of the IRFAN directory yielded that inside there was another directory, Iview425, which contained a separate Irfanview installation. I made that directory the new IRFAN directory, deleted the other one; and hurray - now everything is working fine, though I'm not quite sure why.

<sigh>
                  G Henry

Comment

Ahhh. *Thinks interesting thoughts but needs nap to digest them*
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X