Dual Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Monitor

My secondary monitor is larger than my primary monitor.
    When I view images on the secondary monitor, images only display up to the size of the primary (smaller) monitor
    (cuts off at the bottom, and at the right side of the screen)

Probably nothing to do with Irfanview. If you have set Extended Desktop mode on your computer then you also need to set the Resolution in Display settings for each of the monitors separately (that also sets the size and shape of the pictures you see on them). If you have it set to clone mode then the size and shape of the image you see on the secondary monitor is always determined by what you set for the primary one.

Comment

I'm on extended desktop mode, and it only cutsoff when I'm viewing images in Irfan view.
      Primary is at 1440x900, secondary is at 1680x1050.

Comment

Are you launching IrfanView on the secondary monitor or dragging the window there from the primary? I do not have screens as big as yours but have not seen this effect.

Comment

I just tried both methods, and either way it cut off

Comment

I cannot reproduce your screen sizes or shapes but I have just connected what I have together in Extended desktop mode. My primary is a laptop with 8:5 ratio like yours (1280x800) and the secondary monitor is 5:4 (1280x1024). If I select Fit to screen with a 4:3 ratio image (3648x2736) I see broad black bands at the sides when viewed on the 1280x800 and small black bands at top and bottom on the 1280x1024, both as I would expect. If I select Fit to Height the image scales to fit the full height on either screen and if I select Fit to Width the image scales to fit the full width on either. Again all as expected. The laptop by the way is still running Irfanview v4.20 like yours.

I tried different resolution settings such as 1024x768 on the primary but still got results just as expected. With different 4:3 resolution settings on both monitors the 4:3 image would fill either screen completely, but stretched of course horizontally on one, vertically on the other.

So it all seems fine to me. What size is the image you are using by the way?

Comment

oh i forgot to mention,
              it only occurs when in "fit window to image mode"
              and only when the image is larger than the smaller monitor.

e.g.
              Primary is at 1440x900, secondary is at 1680x1050
              and viewing an image size 1680x1050 on the secondary using "fit window to image mode"
              then the bottom and right side of the image will be cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by yugkop View Post
                oh i forgot to mention,
                it only occurs when in "fit window to image mode"
                and only when the image is larger than the smaller monitor.
                Pretty important things to have forgotten to mention!
                That "Fit window to image mode" goes back to the early days of Irfanview , well before the days of Extended desktops, so I am not in the least surprised that there are bugs lurking within it.
                I consider it an obsolete mode and cannot understand why anyone would want to use it especially without selecting the Center window option. The way in which the window slowly "walks" towards the top left corner as you browse is ridiculous IMHO.
                If you really must use that mode then I guess you will have to hope that one of the moderators forwards your bug report to the program author Irfan Skiljan.

Comment

The exact same thing is happening to me, only in my situation the "fit window to image" is not the culprit, tried other modes and the same is happening. Irfan has been my go-to picture browser since literally early 2000s and I would like to keep it that way, but I am unable to make it work with my new dual monitor setup...

PS. For me, the monitor I'm trying to use to browse pictures is actually a 55' TV, the resolution on both is 1920 x 1080. I updated Irfan to the newest version. The picture isn't displayed properly when put into fullscreen

PS2. As always, solved the issue right after I posted. The fault is the SCALING option in the monitor settings. You can set a resolution, and only change the size of elements visible. This is quite useful for such a big screen, but this was making half the pics cut off in fullscreen. It has NOTHING to do with irfan's options themselves.
                  Last edited by Azerate; 16.06.2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azerate View Post
                    The fault is the SCALING option in the monitor settings. You can set a resolution, and only change the size of elements visible. This is quite useful for such a big screen, but this was making half the pics cut off in fullscreen. It has NOTHING to do with irfan's options themselves.
                    Looks similar to the Histogram dialogue bug
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                    X