Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do I have to rotate image?

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

Interesting. Now I'm confused, but luckily my camera doesn't mess with my mind -- I always see pics the way I took them, with auto-rotation on or off. However, I may need to know this when I get another one.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

We all get confused by this feature, Matera. It is a minefield.

I have just had to edit the final paragraph of my last post because I realised that you could not do the operations in the order I had said.
    Turning off the Auto-rotate option does not get applied to the image immediately, nor after pressing F5. You need to reload the image for it to take effect and then, of course, you have undone your crop or other edit.

That business of having to actually save an image before the Save option dialog settings are stored is a really awful feature of Irfanview IMHO. it has caught me out many times. Using Save as Grayscale almost always ends in disaster.

Just want to thank you all for your input. But there will be time lost, not saved, if I continue to do as I have been.
    If I can't find another proggy that'll do the entire job, I can see that I'll have to use Windows Photo Gallery to crop, then I can use IFV to further edit. At least, with photo gallery, everything is oriented the way that I took the photos, and I can crop & save without even opening the image (that, is the ONLY good thing about WPG). Then, I can use IFV to further enahnce, and, they open in proper orientation.
    It's a shame to have to use two programs to edit, but it is still faster than using only IFV.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home

Quote Originally Posted by Curiopete View Post
    Just want to thank you all for your input. But there will be time lost, not saved, if I continue to do as I have been.
    If I can't find another proggy that'll do the entire job, I can see that I'll have to use Windows Photo Gallery to crop, then I can use IFV to further edit. At least, with photo gallery, everything is oriented the way that I took the photos, and I can crop & save without even opening the image (that, is the ONLY good thing about WPG). Then, I can use IFV to further enahnce, and, they open in proper orientation.
    It's a shame to have to use two programs to edit, but it is still faster than using only IFV.
    I have been having this same problem for more than a year. My only fix that I ubderstand is when I have uploaded them to my picture pc folder I rotate them right and then rotate them left. Then when I open them up in infraview they stay put.

Thread Information