Why do I have to rotate image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Why do I have to rotate image?

I take a bunch of photos, and when I open them to crop edit or view, 95% of the time I have to 'rotate left' and 1% of the time I have to rotate right. They rarely open in the horizontal position that they were taken in.
    Because I take so many photos, I really need to save time by eliminating this step and I was wondering if anyone knows of a workaround.

Thanx in advance,
    Pete

Welcome to the Forum, Curiopete. IrfanView does not Auto Rotate based on EXIF Information. However, there are two schools of thought here - check out this thread.
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Do you use jpg? With EXIF?
      Have you set the optin below?

IV will then rotae t image for display, but will no save the rotated version of its own accord. Only when you actively save the image te rotation will be permanent.

What software did you use to transfer the images from your camera to the computer. Does the problem persist when you directly plug the card (SD, CF, etc.) into a card reader?

(Admin: Why can't I attach a png-file? Still a vBulletin 4.0 issue? - Message: "You don't have permission to view this page")
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jazzman; 19.02.2010, 07:17 PM. Reason: software/card question

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thanx for replies, guys.

I use Canon Powershot S51S 8MP. And I use USB directly from camera to back of computer.

When I preview in the camera, all is fine. When the pics are downloaded (JPG, not jpeg) into a folder on my desktop and folder viewing options are set to meduim or large icons, all still appears fine. The problem seems to be when I open one of them with IrfanView that it automatically rotates to portrait and I end up manually rotating it back to landscape; most times. This has always given me the impression that the glitch is in IrfanView rather than in the camera.

Pete

Comment

Sorry.
          Yes, I have that option set

Comment

Hmmm - I use Canon Powershot G5 and transfer the images by taking the CF-card from the camera and plugging it into a card reader. Viewing with IrfanView and the EXIF-rotate option set to ON - all is fine.

So all I can recommend is to try and circumvent attaching the camera via the USB.

PS: You're not using the Canon Software for the USB transfer, are you? I always found it unbearably slow.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I had a Canon some years ago and found it slow transferring images via the USB too - it was faster cutting-pasting the pics using Explorer!

Ah well, Canon started off making Printers (rather decent printers too, actually!), and then into Digital Cameras. Software probably isn't their forte... and outsourcing software development doesn't seem to be working well for them too.
              Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

Thanks,

No I don't use the software; a lesson learned from my last camera.
                I'll be taking another batch of photos today and I'll try going directly from the card.
                I have been reluctant to do this because it's in the battery compartment and a veritable to get open and close.

Comment

*sigh, using cardreader didn't work either

Comment

My apologies if you already know what follows, Curiopete, but some of your words made me think that maybe you did not fully understand what goes on with EXIF rotation.
                    There are eight different values that can be stored in the orientation tag of the Exif data embedded into Jpeg and certain other image formats. They are numbered 1 to 8 but there is also a name associated with each of them. With the image displayed in Irfanview pressing key E will show the embedded Exif data (if any) and you can read the name for the orientation that is currently stored. With the Auto-rotate feature turned on (Options > Properties >JPG/PCD/GIF > Auto-rotate according to EXIF info checked) then the tag number recorded by your camera should cause the image to be displayed the correct way up.

The attached images show these numbers and the associated names (but note that Irfanview omits the word "side" from the name and the Auto-rotate feature only supports orientations 1,3,6 and 8). The images show how an image is shown with Auto-rotate off. If you save them as Jpegs and display them in Irfanview with Auto-rotate on, then 1,3,6 and 8 should appear right way up.

If your camera images appear the right way up with auto-rotate on, then use Jpeg lossless rotation (Options menu) to auto-rotate and save so that it is always like that. After doing this you will see that the Exif tag has been changed to Left top (orientation 1).

It is a little more complex if you want to both edit (e.g. crop) and rotate to the upright. Turn off auto-rotate and do the manual rotation first. Do not try rotating manually with auto-rotate on. It is too confusing. Then do your crop or other edit. You must use Save As.. and open the Options dialog to Check Reset EXIF orientation tag before you save. Do remember to uncheck it again when you next want to save without losing your Exif Orientation tag. Yes, I know, some Irfanview features are pretty user hostile
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mij; 21.02.2010, 07:33 PM. Reason: Instructions in last paragraph not possible. Corrected and simplified.

Comment

Interesting. Now I'm confused, but luckily my camera doesn't mess with my mind -- I always see pics the way I took them, with auto-rotation on or off. However, I may need to know this when I get another one.
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

We all get confused by this feature, Matera. It is a minefield.

I have just had to edit the final paragraph of my last post because I realised that you could not do the operations in the order I had said.
                        Turning off the Auto-rotate option does not get applied to the image immediately, nor after pressing F5. You need to reload the image for it to take effect and then, of course, you have undone your crop or other edit.

That business of having to actually save an image before the Save option dialog settings are stored is a really awful feature of Irfanview IMHO. it has caught me out many times. Using Save as Grayscale almost always ends in disaster.

Comment

Just want to thank you all for your input. But there will be time lost, not saved, if I continue to do as I have been.
                          If I can't find another proggy that'll do the entire job, I can see that I'll have to use Windows Photo Gallery to crop, then I can use IFV to further edit. At least, with photo gallery, everything is oriented the way that I took the photos, and I can crop & save without even opening the image (that, is the ONLY good thing about WPG). Then, I can use IFV to further enahnce, and, they open in proper orientation.
                          It's a shame to have to use two programs to edit, but it is still faster than using only IFV.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiopete View Post
                            Just want to thank you all for your input. But there will be time lost, not saved, if I continue to do as I have been.
                            If I can't find another proggy that'll do the entire job, I can see that I'll have to use Windows Photo Gallery to crop, then I can use IFV to further edit. At least, with photo gallery, everything is oriented the way that I took the photos, and I can crop & save without even opening the image (that, is the ONLY good thing about WPG). Then, I can use IFV to further enahnce, and, they open in proper orientation.
                            It's a shame to have to use two programs to edit, but it is still faster than using only IFV.
                            I have been having this same problem for more than a year. My only fix that I ubderstand is when I have uploaded them to my picture pc folder I rotate them right and then rotate them left. Then when I open them up in infraview they stay put.

Comment

Working...
                            X