Date & Time Stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date & Time Stamp

I have been trying to do this all day...and can't seem to figure out the EXACT procedure. I am totally new at this. Bought my first DSLR Olympus E-410....and totally frustrated that I didn't know that date & time stamp isn't standard like my old point & shoot.

I called Olympus and they recommended IrFanView to me for this purpose. I downloaded and added the plug-in.

I searched and read through many other posts regarding this subject, but none of them have step 1 though to the end.

Can someone kind enough please walk me through step by step of the easiest way to "batch" input the dates on my photos.

My user name is "Newbie" for a reason

Thank you SO much!

Do you mean putting a text overlay on the image? Use the Batch conversion, Advanced -- add overlay text. Use $T in the text box. Experiment a little to see what works best for position, size, and color.

(I hate cameras that do that. Defaces and uglifies the photo)
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks Matera!

Yes...I do want to text overlay with the date stamp on the bottom right of all of my photos.

I am having such trouble. I am so new to this. Not techy at all. Just downloaded IrFanView for this purpose only.

I am spending way too much time trying to figure this out...I am ready to return my camera. I have 3 little children and my most important feature is the date/time stamp.

I went through those steps and set it all up. Nothing happens.

Only one photo comes up at a time...with no stamp.

If there is anyone who has the time, can you walk me through step by step... from when I plug this camera into the computer and open IrFanView to getting the stamp on each photo. I know it can't be this hard, but I am definitely missing something.

Thanks so much

Comment

Well, you need to download all the photos onto your hard drive first. The batch conversion won't work at the same time as the image aquisition.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

2 matera : I know what you mean by this, and of course I would copy the photos to my hard drive first too, but the camera can be seen as a drive with a certain map as well.
          But it's certainly better to do these experiments on the copies instead of loosing the originals of the camera memory.

2 Newbie : Your statements are a bit contradictory to get a clear picture of what you want, but ok, here's the procedure step by step :

1. Open one of the photos with IrfanView
          2. Press 'B' for the Batch conversion dialog
          3. Press 'Add All' to get all your photos in the batch queue
          4. Check the 'Output format' to be what you want it to be
          5. If you just want to overwrite the current files with the stamped versions, click 'Use current..' as output directory
          6. If you want to keep the 'clean' originals as well, choose at 'Work as' the 3rd option, and define the rename settings

So far the preparations.
          Now activate 'Use advanced options' and press 'Advanced'. This shows the dialog of 'Set for all images'

7. Make sure that no effect is turned on 'on' there, unless you want it to
          8. Pick 'Add overlay text' and press 'Settings'. A new dialog.

You want to add a text of the date in the right bottom corner, so you have to set some coordinates within the picture.

9. Some precize XY values could be entered, but in this case it's enough to pick as Start corner 'Right bottom'
          10. Choose at Text alignment 'Right', to get the last character in the right bottom corner
          11. To get the date as text string, press 'Append date'. This is shown in the Text window. Time can be added as well.

Now the text is defined but the appearance of it still has to be set.

12. Choose the right size, font type and color, to make it readable (without disturbing the picture too much)
          13. Ok - Ok - back to the main Batch conversion dialog
          14. Select a file in the added list and activate 'Show Preview image' to get a small look of the result
          15. If satisfying, press 'Start Batch'
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam_Zen & Matera...

thank you so much. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
            X