.shtml ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.shtml ?

I like your program and it seems very useful!

I'm just starting to try and use IrfanView to create some web pages, nothing special so far just using the basic template and it seems very nice and easy to use!

The thing I've run into is trying to get the individual pages to be created using the .shtml suffix so I can use SSI. I can get the main contact sheet page to use .shtml but not the individual pages - is this possible?

I know I can use .html & .htaccess however one of my previous hosting services didn't like that - don't know if it is a concern now but I've been using the .shtml.

Thanks for the program and any help!

Welcome to the Forum, boyce1. IrfanView is NOT an HTML editor, it is the most popular image viewer and image editor there is, being downloaded over a million times every month since 2003! Now that is amazing, isn't it!

IrfanView is small (still fits into a Floppy Disk, though the Floppy is long dead...), starts off like greased lightning and has everything that most users ever require, from an image editor. I have been using it for I forget how many years now and rarely have I required the power (and complexity, for they come hand-in-hand!) of PhotoShop or GIMP, for my requirements!

If you are looking to create HTML/ SHTML or other types of web pages, IrfanView can help as far as preparing the images for your web pages go - no more. As far as I know, SHTML files have server-side includes and hence, it depends on your web server platform and server configuration as well: merely naming your page with the SHTML extension isn't sufficient.

Similarly, .htaccess is a method of limiting a page's visibility with a user name and password. You still need to specify usernames and passwords of all those who should be given access to the page!

So if a previous hosting service did not like your SHTML, it would be because they were on LINUX or did not have the required Server-side Extensions. Yes, you can certainly have SHTML for your Home Page and HTML for others - but you need to talk to your hosting service provider to understand whether this is possible under their setup. Almost every hosting service provider has both Windows and LINUX-based hosting options (with the Windows-based option usually costing a little more), so that should not be difficult.

As for me, I continue to use MS SharePoint 2007 for my web pages - would love to learn DreamWeaver, but just cannot find the time, patience or energy: in other words, I'm quite happy with SharePoint!

In any case, best of luck and have loads of fun with IrfanView!
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 28.02.2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: To add some more info about hosting services
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
      If you are looking to create HTML/ SHTML or other types of web pages, IrfanView can help as far as preparing the images for your web pages go - no more.
      IrfanView can help to create HTML pages. See the thumbnails file menu, save selected thumbs as HTML file …

The templates used by this feature are found in C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Html and can be edited in a text editor. I don't know if its possible to create shtml files in this way.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi WellOiledPC,

Thanks for your response, however I think you might have misinterpreted my post.

I'm not suggesting that IrfanView is an HTML editor rather, as Bhikkhu Pesala suggested, I'm using IrfanView's built-in functionality to "Save selected thumbnails as HTML file" - an option under the File Menu on the Thumbnails screen.

As far as SHTML goes, naming webpages with the .shtml extension is sufficient to tell the server to parse the for server side commands.

The .htaccess has other than just the user name password that you suggest. In addition you can use it for re-direct functions etc and you can also use it to tell the server to parse .html pages for server side includes via the .htaccess file however it adds to the server's overhead as it will scan every page in the directory where you place the .htaccess files and its sub-directories.

Therefore I want to use the SHTLM extension on the pages that IrfanView creates so I don't have to use the .htaccess file and likely parsing pages that don't have SSI components.

Server Side Includes can be very useful and are very easy to implement even for a noob like me. I use them to insert pages into other pages. For example I build menus in one page and can include it in many pages with one simple statement. That way if you want to change or add to your menu you can do it in one place and all the pages will reflect the change.

The main contact sheet page CAN be created with the .shtml extension however I haven't found if it is possible to have the resulting image pages (that the contact sheet points to) themselves use that extension and that is my question.

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

Okay, so what you want to do is create a Photo Gallery of sorts, with Thumbnails that may be clicked for the full-size image to open up and with Previous and Next buttons to get to the other pictures! You also want that this page be accessible by people who have a user name and password!

IrfanView does let you quickly create the HTML for the Photo Gallery, as Bhikkhu correctly says and as you have already found out. However, the page thus created would be accessible by everyone - I do not know whether renaming it as SHTML will do the trick...

Personally, I prefer to create each page for each picture: it gives me complete control over the process, letting me design the page exactly the way I want it to look like! For example, if I would like a Red border around viewed images (vis-a-vis a White border around the images not yet viewed), IrfanView does not help...

Again, it is NOT as arduous as you may think, since you may re-use the same page over and over again! I had created the website for a young, upcoming photographer, www.nitinrai.com, about a year ago. Do check it out! I even had a slideshow of clickable pictures using Java coding, which was liked very much indeed!

Nitin has 183 pictures classified into 8 portfolios and I created them page-by-page in a few days, so I would recommend you do it individually too!

Best of Luck!
          IrfanView Website - Here
          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
          Author's Website - Here

Comment

WOPC,

You sort of have it right but, no, I'm not using .shtml to control access, only to tell the server to parse .html pages for Server Side Includes since IrfanView doesn't currently support naming the pages (other than the main page) with the .shtml extension. I only use .shtml so I can include webpages within webpages for menus etc - NO user names or passwords.

I've finally figured out the templates and they allow me to create a set of pages in less than one second for a directory full of images - it really works great (except for the .shtml thing.)

I've found that, according to the help file, IrfanView only supports naming the individual image pages with the extensions .html, .htm, .php, and .asp. It seems to me that it would likely be a simple matter to add .shtml so hopefully that is something that can be done in a future release.

I have looked at the website you mentioned and it looks very good indeed, as does the photographers work - well done to both of you! However I believe you could have created the same thing using templates in a fraction of the few days it took you. The templates feature seems to be a very powerful tool and you should explore it if you ever have to make multiple pages with different images. Just the time it saves in doing the coding for Previous Image, Next Image is worth the time it would take you to figure the templates out. If I can help, let me know!

Here is the first one I've made - VERY cheesy I know but I'm just starting out and am not much good at design!

Anyway thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, boyce1. And hey, your site is not only fun, you have some high-quality photos in there as well! And, loads up very quickly. Hardly cheesy! Just a suggestion - the Extra Large text that says "Not what you were looking for? Try our Google Search Box!" right at the top of the pages made me think for a second that I had reached a broken link!

Well I did use a template for nitinrai.com - getting that juust right took most of the time, with the remaining time going for copying the template over and over again and editing the photo's link in each of the pages. If Nitin weren't so fastidious, I would have used JAlbum, for it has some nifty templates for Photo Galleries and is free as well!

Best of Luck!
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                Well I did use a template for nitinrai.com - getting that juust right took most of the time, with the remaining time going for copying the template over and over again and editing the photo's link in each of the pages. If Nitin weren't so fastidious, I would have used JAlbum, for it has some nifty templates for Photo Galleries and is free as well!
                Yes, one of the nice things about IrfanView templates/Save as HTML file is you don't have to copy templates or edit photo's links (especially the previous - next links!) - really a time saver. Not to mention all the checking and fixing if you screw one up LOL!

Haven't heard of JAlbum so I'lll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

Comment

You're welcome!

Cheers!
                  IrfanView Website - Here
                  Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                  Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
                  X