Insert/superimpose one image onto another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Insert/superimpose one image onto another

Although you can superimpose text onto a picture, I can't see any way of superimposing one image on top of another. Cut and Paste replaces the existing image with the new in its entirety, regardless of whether the images are of different sizes. Currently I am forced to use Paint.NET in order to accomplish this.
    I'd wet my pants if I got this
    37.50%
    That would be nice
    12.50%
    I'm easy
    25.00%
    Can't think of any reason why I would want this
    25.00%

To do this conveniently would need layers, and IrfanView is not a Photo-Editor.

You can accomplish it by pasting into a custom selection.
    1. Open the smaller image
    2. Select All (Ctrl A)
    3. Create Custom Selection
    4. Save current selection
    5. Copy selection
    6. Open larger Image
    7. Create custom selection
    8. Paste
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You can superimpose one or more images with IrfanView, though it isn't as easy as copy-pasting and moving the smaller image to the right location on the larger image. For a brief description of how to do this with IrfanView (and for general help), you are welcome to check out the free IrfanView Manual from any of the three links given in my signature.

As Bhikkhu points out, IrfanView has deliberately stayed away from being a layer-capable image editor because its basic aim is to be small, light and user-friendly.
      Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
      IrfanView Website - Here
      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
      Author's Website - Here

Comment

I have used the "insert overlay/watermark image..." feature on the edit menu to do very simple image overlays. For example to add an icon to the corner of a picture.

Comment

The watermark feature is available since version 4.32 of IrfanView!

regards
          Frank

Comment

Just a caution. Be careful if you do use watermark that the image you superimpose does not overlap the edges of the image you are placing it on. Particularly important if you use it in a batch process since you will not know until the batch is complete.
            What does overlap is cropped off but, if it is at the top or left hand side, you might be surprised how that cropping is done. I did email Irfan about it when the feature was first introduced but I believe it is quite well down his priority list to do anything about.
            Last edited by Mij; 12.04.2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

how to do for superimpose a little gif image with transparent zone on a large image ?

Comment

Originally posted by stefralusi View Post
                how to do for superimpose a little gif image with transparent zone on a large image ?
                Use Edit > Insert Overlay/watermark image. Instructions are in the Help file under Edit Menu.

Comment

Use GIMP or PhotoShop.
                  IrfanView is a picture viewer with some manipulating functions...

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
                    Use GIMP or PhotoShop.
                    IrfanView is a picture viewer with some manipulating functions...
                    Agree on that. Gimp is standard on any computer I use - exept for those old ones that just serves as network bridge or backup locations
                    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I fail to see what's wrong with using Edit, Insert Watermark image. Its a new feature, so perhaps you guys haven't tried it yet?

Adding a watermark image is hardly a complex photo-editing task that justifies opening PhotoShop (if you have it) or getting to grips with the Gimp if you don't.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Viewer is for viewing, editor is for editing. If someone needs to edit someting in images best recomandation is a dedicated image editor.
                        Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
                        doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
                        ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
                        ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

I cannot think of a single Image viewer that does not offer some editing facilities too....
                          ... and I can do quite a lot of editing with Irfanview in the time it takes to even open GIMP.

Comment

Thank late (sorry), I had it easy to copy the custom selection with corel paint for better accuracy and then paste to overlay custom selction, with the use of your suggestions.

Comment

Hello,
                              thanks to Bhikkhu Pesala, now I understand it.

But i would like to have additionally the same behavior as Paint have.
                              Ctrl + C and the inserted picture is in the upper left corner of the window and can then be moved to the desired location.
                              The inserted picture should be visible as in Paint so you can see exactly how it fits into the background image.
                              It would also be nice to be able to choose whether or not the background transparent as in Paint

When I do this kind of work I always have to switch back to Paint.
                              When this feature would be possible in IrfanView I could completely abandon other programs.

Adding a watermark image goes in the right direction but you should also be able to insert the contents of the clipboard.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Friedly; 14.04.2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X