Problem with opening Canon CR2 files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with opening Canon CR2 files

I'm attempting to open .CR2 files created with a Canon EOS T1i in Irfanview 4.25. I've installed canon_crw.zip and irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe and enabled the Canon DLLs in the Plug-ins section of Properties/Settings. When I try to open a cr2 file I receive an error message reading "Decode error. Can't start Canon CR2 DLLs."

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this? I'm unable to find anything on the web related to that error message.

Thanks.

Don

Hi Don,

Originally posted by dwabrams View Post
    I've installed canon_crw.zip
    If you unzipped all files (including subfolders) into your IrfanView folder, then your camera is not supported (EOS T1i = 500D not listed in the list of supported cameras : see Readme_Canon.txt).

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi Don,

see:

(Click to view full size!)

Try to download the wanted DLL's with an updated version of the Canon ZoomBrowser program!
      (See "Drivers & Downloads" and select your OS!)

regards
      Frank

Comment

I had no luck with my Canon G11. I installed the CRW plugin first and then copied the deimg*.dlls that were not already part of the CRW plugin from the ZoomBrowser (6.5.1) to the IrfanView folder. I don't get any warning/error message, but all my CR2 files are only shown as tiny images (120x160). Note: I do have the "Try to load CRW/CR2 option enabled within IrfanView.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOS View Post
          I had no luck with my Canon G11. I installed the CRW plugin first and then copied the deimg*.dlls that were not already part of the CRW plugin from the ZoomBrowser (6.5.1) to the IrfanView folder. I don't get any warning/error message, but all my CR2 files are only shown as tiny images (120x160). Note: I do have the "Try to load CRW/CR2 option enabled within IrfanView.
          I've got the same problem with the CR2 files of the Canon S90. Although the embedded jpg is 1600px x 1200px, IrfanView shows the preview image only in 120x160.
          How do I know that a 1600x1200 jpg is embedded in the CR2 file? The program CanonRAWDNGJPGInfoTool (download here) shows and extracts the embedded jpg in this size!

Is there any possibility to display the full embedded 1600x1200 jpg in IrfanView?

Regards
          Georgie

Comment

Originally posted by georgie View Post
            I've got the same problem with the CR2 files of the Canon S90. Although the embedded jpg is 1600px x 1200px, IrfanView shows the preview image only in 120x160.
            How do I know that a 1600x1200 jpg is embedded in the CR2 file? The program CanonRAWDNGJPGInfoTool (download here) shows and extracts the embedded jpg in this size!

Is there any possibility to display the full embedded 1600x1200 jpg in IrfanView?

Regards
            Georgie
            For my 40D CR2 files it show the embeded jpeg ok. Can you link here a sample file to test?

Comment

I am dealing with the same issue with my Canon 5D Mark II. Wondering if there is some incompatibility with the newly installed camera software and irfanview because they show up full-sized when I view them on my laptop instead of the main computer. I only needed to install the camera software on our desktop. Is it possible that inserting a CF card prior to installing the new camera software would cause problems? This dll business is so over my head. I just like to take photos-I am not a technically savvy person, so I find this very frustrating. But at least I can still see them wirelessly.

Comment

Well, I decided to uninstall Irfanview and completely reinstall the program and the latest plug-in-downloads. Not sure why that made a difference, but updating to my existing version wasn't helping. I'm glad it's finally working now.

Comment

Working...
                X