How can I drag and drop thumbnails into Photoshop, InDesign etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I drag and drop thumbnails into Photoshop, InDesign etc

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it on the forum. I would consider using IrfanView Thumbnails instead of my usual ThumbsPlus alongside Photoshop and InDesign, except that it doesn't seem to do what I need most in a thumbnails program. That is the ability to drag IrfanView thumbnails and drop them directly into Photoshop and onto pages in my layout program, InDesign.

This seems so basic - you can even do it from free thumbnail programs like FastStone. Or for that matter, Windows Explorer.

Is there a way to set up such a function in IrfanView Thumbnails?

No, but you can set up the open with external menu from the viewer in Preferences, Miscellaneous.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Do you know why this feature still not added to IrfanView?

Drag'n'drop not so useless task. For example i need drop file to e-mail programm (e-mail inside irfanview looks more useless then d'n'd for me)
      or Drop files from IWThumbnails to PowerPoint....
      Or.....
      or....

for this moment we have some choice, use "copy to" or open with Farstone or other fast (but not so fast and simple like IW)

Comment

Originally posted by SSH4 View Post
        Do you know why this feature still not added to IrfanView?

but not so fast and simple like IV(
        You answered your own question. What do you want? Fast and simple, or slow and bloated?

There is an easy work-around — copy the image to the Windows clipboard from the Viewer and paste it into InDesign, or add Open with PhotoShop to the external programs menu.

I have FastStone Viewer installed too, but I always use IrfanView for browsing images. Why? FastStone looks much more modern and has a much prettier interface etc. The problem is it that it takes much longer to load and doesn't support nearly as many file types.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

To support general D&D a program has to implement some COM objects (like IDataObject, ...)
          A lot of things are useful but the author decides what to implement.
          And the focus of Irfan is to keep the basic program small.

Comment

i hope you right. Because my knowlige of programming languges limited to perl and pascal (and comand line only).

This feature i still wait, but anyway IW one of the first tool (after Total Commander ) i install on any system.

Comment

Want drag and drop into other apps

I would request "bloating" at lest just for this one feature. Everything else seems perfect. The irFanView thumbnails offers the best method of viewing folders of photos that I have used. I would use it for all my work with photos if only it would allow the multiple images I have selected to be dragged and dropped into another application.

I humbly request this feature for your consideration.

Comment

It may go deeper than that. I do not know if you can allow drag and drop of a file to another image viewer/editor (to Open it there) but prevent it being dropped onto a File manager, like Windows Explorer, where the result would be to Move the file into another folder. Remember that in Irfanview the thumbnails are not always the contents of one folder. They can also be the contents of a txt file list or a search list. Drag and drop is usually a two way feature also. What do you expect to happen if a file is dragged into thumbnails from somewhere else?

Xnview does try to implement this and IMHO it is a disaster. Whenever I use it, I almost invariably lose a file somewhere or end up with unwanted duplicates. Dragging from Xnview thumbs to Windows Explorer results in a Move to another folder. The other way, from Explorer to Xnview, it is a Copy.

Comment

You may control the D&D operation by pressing a modifier key like Ctrl.
                  If the pointer shows a plus sign then you request a copy else a move/announce operation.

Comment

Yes, I know that of course impdf. However we all get used to the default behaviour of Windows Explorer and expect other programs to behave in the same way. When you drag a file from one folder in Explorer and drop it into another on the same drive, then the default action is always Move, so the original file appears in the destination folder and is removed automatically from the source.

On the other hand if you drag a file from a folder in Explorer and drop it onto an executable Program then the file is Opened by that program (if it can). The shell program (Window Explorer) knows that it was not dropped onto another Folder because the original file remains in the source folder.

The same happens if you drop a file from a folder in Explorer onto the List of files being prepared in the Irfanview Slideshow dialog, the file name is added to the List of files and the original file remains in the source folder. So clearly Explorer treats a List as a Program not as a folder.

So should Explorer see Thumbnails in Irfanview (or Xnview) as a Folder and delete the original file from the source folder, or see it as a Program and keep the original? Since Thumbnails may represent the contents of a Folder or the contents of a List, how is Explorer to know what action to take?

Comment

Ole D&D uses a negotiation process between the applications to handle this.
                      Normally you provide different flavors and transportation mechanisms of the data.
                      So it should be possible to implement D&D in a way that the user gets the expected result.

Comment

I think that if D&D will be implemented in Thubnails it can be implemented only in one direction: out. If a draged is a file then ok, if it is something else (eg. folder) no action is taken.

Comment

Working...
                        X