How to stop file extension changing case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stop file extension changing case

This started happening about a week ago when I changed cameras. Whenever I save a file called, for example, IMG_1234.JPG, it gets saved as IMG_1234.jpg with the extension changing from upper case (which I want it to be) rather than lower case. So, if I don't then rename it manually or using batch rename, it gets loaded to my web site with the wrong name and people see the wrong picture. This is a big deal to me as I load hundreds of pics to my website each week and it takes forever to have to rename them. My old camera used to call files aaa_1234.JPG and I had no problem with the extension staying as JPG.

Strange. It shouldn't make any difference if it's JPG or jpg.
    I can imagine problems with names having upper case or not, but not the extension.
    But maybe this is a IE problem, I dunno.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

If the server is running a UNIX-like OS (Linux, *BSD, ...) it matters, since UNIX file names are case-sensitive (and the extension is not an exception, since actually it's just the end of the name). If any browser tries to retrieve from such server a file requesting it with the wrong case combination, the server will simply return a 404-not found error, which is perfectly right, since files whose name differs even just for case are different files on UNIX.
      Last edited by MItaly; 30.03.2010, 12:35 PM.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

True, Capitalizations do matter under UNIX, LINUX and company. When I changed from Windows Hosting to LINUX Hosting some time back, I had so many broken image links! I decided to go in for uniformity and all small letters, but had to work on virtually each image's name and each corresponding link!

Since you upload hundreds of images weekly, perhaps the easiest way is to link up your newer images with the non-capitalized extensions and letting the older ones stay capitalized. Almost no re-work that way!
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Hi johnmnz,

Unluckily, there is no option to control upper or lower case for the extensions.

Laurent
          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

You can use a simple batch file to change all the jpg extensions to uppercase. I would save

cd %1
            ren *.jpg *.JPG

as a batch file (call it, say, toJPG.bat) and leave it on the Desktop. Then just drag and drop any folder you need to change onto it. Job done!
            Last edited by Mij; 31.03.2010, 12:16 AM. Reason: example added

Comment

Hmm, my bad. Completely forgot the UNIX situation.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
              X