No announcement yet.

Text overlay transparency, text colours (palette), more location options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Text overlay transparency, text colours (palette), more location options

I use the "Add overlay text to image" a lot to add a copyright signature to my photos before I post them online. I do however sometimes struggle with placing the selection box properly, and finding a suitable colour to go with the colour makeup of the photo because the colours available in the existing font colour drop-down menu often don't match.

I think the following items would both very handy in that respect, and relatively easy to implement:
    1. Text transparency setting (by percentage or 0-255 value in a number box and/or with a slider).
    2. Colour palette in addition to (or replacing) the current 16 colour drop-menu in the font dialog, or an RGB value box.
    3. Location selector with top/middle/bottom, along with the existing left/center/right.
    4. And (possibly) a selector (number box) to set the desired distance in pixels between text and edge of selection.

The transparency option might be of value for those who want to add watermarks (typically large font, middle of picture, nearly completely transparent). One could select the whole image with Ctrl-A and let IrfanView do the math for placing the text.

IrfanPaint allows you to add overlay text, though, as you mentioned, the placement can be a li'l tricky, since IrfanView does not support Layers. I get by using one of the following options:
    1. Copying the image into PowerPoint and adding the text overlay
    2. Following the easier methods outlined in the IrfanView User Manual

The easier method is not as easy as PowerPoint though...
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the swift response.

I have working work-arounds, so that's not really the issue. It's merely my impression that IrfanView would benefit from the additions I suggest.

I don't believe layers would be needed for the job. What I have in mind is quite simply fixed presets for top, middle and bottom alignment for text, just as we now have left, center and right. This would let me place my signature, watermark or caption in any one of nine locations in the image (if I select the entire image) or selection area. It would eliminate the need for trial, error and "fumbling" for placing the text "just right" in those locations. And a margin setting would simply allow users to decide how far from the edge of the selection or image that they want the text to be.

To give an example, if I now select the entire image, I can place text on the top left, top center or top right. My suggestion just adds left, center and right for middle and bottom as well (I prefer my signature at the bottom anyway, so if IrfanView had placed the text at the bottom as default rather than the top, I wouldn't be having a problem).

As for transparency and better colour selection, that would make it much easier to blend text nicely into the image. 50% transparent looks much better for a signature than solid text. 90-95% transparency is better for a watermark. And I find it a little odd that while you can choose any colour for the background (if you don't make the text "transparent"), you have only 16 colours to choose from for the text itself.

Granted that IrfanView is not and should not try to be Photoshop-like. This is why I use IrfanView and not Photoshop. However, with editing tools such as Straightening and Clone, and even OCR, these text tools I suggest wouldn't be at all out of place.

Thanks for pointing out the Text Tool (via the manual) which I had assumed (wrongly) was the same as 'Add overlay text' that I'm already using. It has the full-colour palette that I was looking for. However, I still prefer the 'Add overlay text' partly because it remembers the text, and I generally use the same signature every time, so I don't have to re-type it repeatedly, and the Text Tool still doesn't have the transparency that I'd like.
      Last edited by inshadowz; 05.04.2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Correcting minor typos and errors in wording.

Comment

You're welcome! I agree that the Text Tool is rather bare on functionality, which is why I use PowerPoint for fancy textual stuff (and that is once in a blue moon!) I understand that MItaly is working on a totally new IrfanPaint module - hope he has Plans (with a Capital 'P') for the Text Tool as well!

You do not have to type your text repeatedly - copy the text once to Clipboard and thereafter, Control+V for the rest of your images!
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
        X