Batch Renaming with Created Subfolders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch Renaming with Created Subfolders

I'm trying to figure out a way to use the batch rename function to create inside the output folder a folder with the name of the subfolder that the original image is in. I know it sounds confusing but this is what I want to do:

Subfolder
    --Image File

I want to take the Image File and have it renamed to look like this:

Output Folder
    --Original Image's Subfolder
    ---- Renamed Image

Is there a way to get Irfanview to create this subfolder automatically when batching or am I doomed to create a new folder manually each time? I'm working with lots of folders.

Thanks!

Did you try using the "Create subfolders in destination folder" option in Advanced batch? You need to use "Batch conversion - rename results" and uncheck everything else in the Advanced options.
    If you already tried it tell us exactly what you set (or better still attach an image).

Comment

Thanks for the response Mij. I tried the "Create subfolders in destination folder" with the following settings:

In this example, I'm wanting to convert and rename my Day in the Park photos to my testing folder with just the previous subfolder of "Day in the Park".

Here's the original tree:

After conversion, instead of creating just the folder Day in the Park, it makes folders for EVERY subfolder.

I did try putting $d\testing in the name pattern field, but of course that didn't work because the folders weren't already created and IrfanView didn't create them for me so it errored out.

If there isn't a way to have it automatically create a folder, it won't be a terrible problem, but it would be more convenient in order to handle multiple folders at a time for converting.

Comment

Hi jypweb
        You probably did not intend to post the same image three times but from your settings I imagine your first file was renamed
        C:\Testing\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\Test Images\Day in the Park 01
        and what you wanted was
        C:\Testing\Test Images\Day in the Park 01

As you have discovered it is not the way it works in Irfanview. It does create a complete file structure so that all files remain in the same relative positions as they were originally.
        Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I did not fully appreciate what you wanted from your first post and thought that you might not have discovered that option in Advanced batch.
        There are more advanced file renaming programs which may do what you want. One was mentioned in a thread not long ago, but I cannot now find it.

Added: It was probably this thread I was thinking of
        Last edited by Mij; 18.04.2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Your example is what I was trying to do, but I'm guessing that there might not be a way to do that with Irfanview just yet. Maybe in a future update. Thanks for your help Mij!

Comment

Working...
          X