Ghostscript error on Win 64 bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Ghostscript error on Win 64 bits

I am trying to open a .ai file - I understand that this needs the ghostscript add on - I have downloaded and installed v4.25; the 4.25 plugin package and ghostscript v8.71 (64 bit) on my win7 64 bit OS.
    When I go to open my ai file, I get an error message - Decode error can't load ghostscript or ghostscript error.
    Is there something that I need to do to allow Irfanview to communicate with ghostscript - in each case I installed in the default location

Amy help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thankfully, I have been able to open the file using Acrobat Reader, but I would like to get this working for future use.

Hi rarcus,

IrfanView plug-ins installed?

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

I'm having the same problem on the same OS. GhostScript is installed, but IrfanView can't seem to find it. I think it might have something to do with the fact that there are two program files directories, one for 64-bit and one for 32-bit. Since IrfanView is 32-bit, it's looking in the 32-bit program files directory for GhostScript. Since I installed the 64-bit version of Ghostscript, it's in the 64-bit program files directory. Is there an environment variable I can set?

Thank you

Comment

Hi The Lightning Stalker,

As I don't know anything about 64 bits OS, maybe this is a stupid question:
        since you installed a 32 bits application (IrfanView), why don't you install another 32 bits application (Ghostscript)?

You can also search the forum for questions about Ghostscript. A long time ago somebody explained how to modify the registry to have IrfanView recognize Ghostscript (GPL instead of AFPL).

Laurent

Comment

Can't load Ghostscript or Ghostscript error

So which is it? How can I tell?

I was using 4.25, and tried my first .pdf on this new 64-bit Win7 machine, and it has Ghostscript 8.71 64-bit installed.

So I discovered the recent release of 4.27, it mentions allowing for a path to Ghostscript to be specified, I thought maybe that would help, but... maybe the 32-bit Ghostscript is required for the 32-bit IrfanView? I specified C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.71\bin\gsdll32.dll and that file exists but I still get the error. The default value in the field didn't have the gs.871\ part of the path.

Sadly, text handling in all my favorite graphics programs are broken in Win7 64-bit, because it all seems to be dependent on Ghostscript: IrfanView can't open Ghostscript, ImageMagick can't open Ghostscript. Sounds like a Ghostscript problem, but maybe it is more of a 64-bit vs 32-bit problem, hard to know. ImageMagick has a 64-bit version, but it can't find Ghostscript either.

Does anyone having 64-bit Win7 have a configuration that works, and could describe it?

Comment

Hi graphics-manipulator,

Please make a search ("Ghostscript 64 bits") before posting. Thanks.

Laurent
            Last edited by Laurent; 16.05.2010, 02:24 PM. Reason: [Moderation : threads merged.]

Comment

Hi,

Maybe interesting links:
              - here
              - here

Laurent

Comment

Okay, thanks. After hacking the registry, it appears that the 32 and 64-bit versions of GhostScript are different somehow. The only solution is to install 32-bit GhostScript.

Comment

Hi, my first post.

Questions:

Are there step-by-step instructions on how to install ghostscript on Windows 7?
                  Where can 32-bit ghostscript be downloaded?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by brynhyffryd View Post
                    Are there step-by-step instructions on how to install ghostscript on Windows 7? ...
                    Try this logical sequence:
                    1. Ghostscript
                    2. IrfanView
                    3. all plugins of IrfanView

See also "my answer" in the thread: "PDF problems, problems, problems"

I have used also the default installation path for Ghostscript!
                    Additional I have installed the pdf printer FreePDF XP to print pdf files from any (other) application!
                    And everything works very well!

You can try also the FreePDF XP User-Forum or the Help-Forum of Ghostscript to solve your installation problem!

Originally posted by brynhyffryd View Post
                    ... Where can 32-bit ghostscript be downloaded?
                    - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/
                    - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/files/
                    - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghos...20Ghostscript/
                    - Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghos...2.exe/download

regards
                    Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
                      Hi graphics-manipulator,

Please make a search ("Ghostscript 64 bits") before posting. Thanks.

Laurent
                      Hi Laurent... I did exactly that, that is how I found this thread.

Anyway, then I went to Alaska for 4 months, come back, and I see the links Frank posted take me to a thread where it points out that the 32-bit version of GhostScript works fine with IV, so I have that working. Sadly, no solution yet for ImageMagick and GhostScript... but now half my favorite image programs work with text...

Comment

Can't open PDFs

I have already installed 32 bit Ghostscript and have all of the Irfanview plugins installed. I still cannot open PDF documents in Irfanview. Each time I attempt to open a PDF, I get the following error: "Can't load Ghostscript or Ghostscript error"

How can I fix this error? Thanks.

Win 7 x64
                        IV: 4.27

Comment

Hi nabilalk,

You have "Win 7 x64"!!!
                          Why you have installed the 32 bit version of Ghostscript???
                          And not the 64 bit version... ?!!

Please consider:
                          There exist a lot of different versions of Ghostscript (32 bit and 64 bit)!
                          Not always the most current version is also the most stable version!

And which version of Postscript plugin you have installed?
                          (see IrfanView program menu: \Help\Installed PlugIns...\)

regards
                          Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                            Hi nabilalk,

You have "Win 7 x64"!!!
                            Why you have installed the 32 bit version of Ghostscript???
                            And not the 64 bit version... ?!!

Please consider:
                            There exist a lot of different versions of Ghostscript (32 bit and 64 bit)!
                            Not always the most current version is also the most stable version!

And which version of Postscript plugin you have installed?
                            (see IrfanView program menu: \Help\Installed PlugIns...\)

regards
                            Frank
                            I did not see a 64 bit version as an option. Would you mind posting a link?

Postscript.dll 4.27 Ghostscript Formats -PS EPS PDF AI
                            Last edited by nabilalk; 14.10.2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

64 bit versions of GPL Ghostscript

see: \Ghostscript\GPL Ghostscript\
                              - V8.71
                              - V8.70
                              - V8.64

Try and you will see ... !

Comment

Working...
                              X