LightRoom unable to see Irfanview entered KeyWords in Nikon JPEGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported LightRoom unable to see Irfanview entered KeyWords in Nikon JPEGs

Is there something odd about JPEG files written by the Nikon D80, or about how LightRoom reads IPTC data, or about how Irfanview writes IPTC to Nikon JPEGs?

For years I have used EXIFer for keywording (a program which is wonderful, but which has not been updated since 2002). When I got my Nikon D80 two years ago, I discovered that EXIFer was unable to read or write IPTC keywords to the Nikon JPEGs.

At the time, I was starting to use Adobe LightRoom for initial processing and it seemed easy enough to simply add the keywords to the Nikon files in LR. However, I recently started using a desktop search program (DTS) to quickly locate slides without opening LR - and the LR keywords are not written to the original file, but only to any output file.

Thus I looked around for a program which would keyword the Nikon JPEG originals, so that the DTS program could find them. I have long used Irfanview as my primary image viewer - but did not use it for keywording, as EXIFer was better for this. I was pleased to see that Irfanview was able to write keywords to the Nikon JPEGs.

However, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that LightRoom does not recognize the KWs added by Irfanview - though some programs (GeoSetter, ACDsee) do.

To help sort this out, I just tried adding KW using Irfanview to a JPEG created by a Canon - and LR is able to read those KW. So I am suspecting that it might be something about the Nikon format.

Looking at a Nikon JPEG with an editor shows the KW to be added at the head of the file, and seems to be in the same position with the same prequel as in the Canon JPEG. Sadly copy and paste to text fails here (was going to send the headers). In neither file do KWs seem to be in XML format.

Clarification or Help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Program Versions being used:
    Irfanview 4.25
    LightRoom 1.4 (Because it does all that I need for initial processing)
Working...
X