Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Colour Tifs Only Display as Black Image

Hello

I have some large, 10-20 Mb Tifs, colour scanned images which when opened in irfanview only display in black. They display correctly when opened with photoshop on my work pc and using the built in pictureviewer that comes with window 7 on my home pc. When you look at the image properties in irfanview every looks correct except that the number of unique colors is set to 1. The memory file size if 696MB which is quite big and I'm wondering if there is some file size limitation which is causing the display problem. Also the images tend to be long and skinny eg 1417 x 171596 pixels which may be a factor. Any ideas?
    Below is the image properties from one of the files-

File Name: PR3101L1.tif
    Directory: N:\archive\crown\Petroleum-Reports\
    Full Path: N:\archive\crown\Petroleum-Reports\PR3101L1.tif
    Compression: JPEG (in TIFF)
    Resolution 150 x 150
    Original size: 1417 x 171596 Pixels (243.15 MPixels) (121.10)
    Current size: 1417 x 171596 Pixels (243.15 MPixels) (121.10)
    Print size: 24.0 x 2905.7 cm; 9.4 x 1144.0 inches
    Original colors: 16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)
    Current colors: 16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)
    Number of unique colors: 1
    Disk size: 21.00 MB (22,015,588 Bytes)
    Current memory size: 695.83 MB (729,626,232 Bytes)
    Current directory index: 31832 / 50811
    File date/time: 28/05/2007 / 11:44:56
    Loaded in: 6281 milliseconds

thanks

This is difficult to test without a sample image.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I can supply an image but it is too big (21.5 MB) to attach to this message. Do you have an ftp server that I can upload the image to?

thanks

Comment

Or you could try to upload a cropped part of the original.
        If a picture is reduced to 1 unique color, it means a black and white one.
        But the white seems to have gone here.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by smalcie View Post
          I can supply an image but it is too big (21.5 MB) to attach to this message. Do you have an ftp server that I can upload the image to?

thanks
          You can send it me via Document Courier (current password = smalcie) as long as I am online, which is most of the day.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Uninstall Plugin

I unintentionally installed LuraWave plugin. This was a mistake, because now I can't Save As without invoking the plugin. How do I uninstall. Please help.

I'm not certain that I will be able to find your reply on this forum--Please also send the reply to my email as well: paullclaassen.s@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Paul

Comment

You are probably trying to save as JP2 instead of JPG. Delete JPM.DLL from the plugins folder to remove it completely, but then you won't be able to view JP2 or JPGEG2000 images.

* 31. JPM.DLL - This PlugIn allows IrfanView to read/write JPM format.
              (JPEG2000/Part6, Luradocument.JPM, similar to LDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                You can send it me via Document Courier (current password = smalcie) as long as I am online, which is most of the day.
                Hello. I've upload file PR3101L1.tif for you to look at

thanks

Comment

Could these TIFs have a transparent background?
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I get the same result as you in IrfanView — just 1 colour. No other program I tried can open it: CorelPhotoPaint 9, DrawPlus, PagePlus, Smila Enlarger, FastStone Viewer.

Edit: XnView manages just fine — it opens it quickly and apparently displays it properly — though on second thoughts the image may be corrupted, as it looks like an inch or so at the top, really belongs at the bottom.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.04.2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Hi. I have recently suffered a similar problem. IV has stopped displaying tif files saved with Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate. IV seems to open the file, and displays the file name in the title bar, and will display file info with the "I" button, but the displ;ay is totally black. I have saved the file with LHZ and wiht no compression - still noo go. File size makes no difference - still no display. I can see older TIF files and files saved in the TIF format by MS Paint. Xplorer2 and FastStone display the files ok.
                      Any ideas?
                      How can I attach a file to this message for someone to look at?

Comment

Please upload some sample TIF files as compressed zip archive!
                        (See also the german bugreport: "V4.28: Einige TIF-Dateien lassen sich mit IrfanView nicht mehr anzeigen!")

description for uploading:
                        Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                        • Use the attachement-button in the Forum to send us your file (see the attachment).
                        • In the attachement-dialog click on Choose and search your file on your harddisc.
                        • Then click Upload.

Comment

Here are some pictures I made using PSP and IV from a .nef file (RAW image from a Nikon camera). IV now responds to the PSP .tif files with "...unknown file header" and displays ony black. I noticed that the files from PSP are much larger than the ones using IV. IV reads /nef files easily.
                          Thanks for your time and e3xpertise.
                          David
                          Attached Files

Comment

It seems that Corel Paint Shop Pro is the reason of such mistakes!
                            Because IrfanView is not the only program which can't open the picture "frog small PSP.tif"!
                            Also XnView can't do that! (But Faststone Image Viewer can open this picture!)

Maybe PSP use a non standard TIF-Format!

Comment

Also unable to open the file in Corel PhotoPaint 9 or Serif PhotoPlus X4.

Comment

Working...
                              X