Automatically Changes Windows Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatically Changes Windows Icons

I just installed 4.25 and it has changed all my win 7 icons to the irfanview icon. How do I resolve this, it didn't do it when I was using XP.

ALL icons, or all image icons? It could be a corrupt icon cache if it's all-all.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

It is shortcut icons, the Folders stay looking like folders, but when they are opened the images inside are all "irfanview"l. When I uninstall IRFAVVIEW they all resort back to normal. any ideas?

Comment

Hi leeper,

During installation, did you choose to associate every possible files with IrfanView? In this case uninstall and reinstall and select only the associations you want. Unluckily, I don't have Win7 here so I can't test.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I chose not to associate with any images. I thought I may have done that initially, so I did uninstall and reinstall and still the same results.

Comment

I have tried it several more times and uninstalled it again and even manually removed any leftover registry entries, I even rebuilt the iconcache.db for win7 enterprise, still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas as I would love to use the program?

Comment

Hi leeper,

I would try this (first with only one file type to test and in case it works with other file tyes):
              - open IrfanView
              - associate JPEG vith IV
              - OK and close IV
              - open IV again
              - remove association
              - close IV
              - repeat all this again once you are logged in as an administrator.

If that doesn' work, use someting like "File association" in Win7 explorer or control panel (I don't know as I don't use Win7).

Laurent
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks, for your reply.
                I did as you suggested I still get the same, I made sure each time I was the adminstrator.
                The task bar has the IV logo for each program as does the start menu.
                I am at a loss,on how to correct.
                Thanks for any and all help.

Comment

Maybe the Filetypes manager can be of some help here.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks.
                    I downloaded it, but have no idea what to do with it.
                    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I am still having the same issues, so I am off to try something else... maybe paint.net, although I will miss irfanview.

Comment

This exact thing happened to me as well. Did anyone ever figure out what do do about it?

Comment

There are two issues mixed together in this thread. First, if you just want to see Thumbnails in Windows Explorer and not the Icon of whatever application is currently associated with the file type then see this thread.

The second issue is how to disassociate Irfanview from a particular file type. In the examples I will assume the GIF file type but any file type is similar. I believe the information below is correct but it is a surprisingly complex matter and may differ in some versions of Windows;

Method 1. Associate the GIF file type with a different program using one of these methods
                          1(a). From Irfanview. Select Options > Set file Associations and uncheck GIF. Press OK. In Win7 and Vista this method only works if GIF file type has previously been associated with a different program, in which case the previous application is associated again. If not Irfanview remains associated.
                          1(b). From another graphics program. Search for a similar option menu that allows you to associate that program with the GIF file type. Select OK.
                          1(c). In Windows - Win7 or Vista; select Default Programs from the Start menu and click Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Select GIF and click on Change Program. Select a different program to associate with from the list of recommendations. You can also Browse to find another program that is not in the recommendation list. Although you can associate with any .exe file be careful that the program you do associate with can actually open a GIF file. If it cannot and you double click on a GIF then you may cause the program or Windows Explorer to crash. In Windows XP and 2000; Open Windows Explorer and select Tools >Folder Options. Click the File types tag, select GIF and follow a similar procedure to select a different program to associate with.
                          1(d). In Windows Explorer. Find a file of type GIF and right click on it. Select Open With and Choose default program. Then select a different program as in 1(c).

Method 2. If you do not have or do not wish to associate with another program then you need to disassociate GIF from any program. This is more tricky. Use one of the following
                          2(a). Uninstall the program associated with GIF. This is no use if you wish to reinstall the program again since Windows Explorer remembers the previous association and restores it again as soon as you reinstall. You could however set up a dummy program to associate with and then uninstall that.
                          2(b). Command Prompt (may need Administrator privileges). Locate Command Prompt in the Accessories Group on the Start menu. In Win7 or Vista right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. In XP open with a left click. In the dialog type assoc.gif=" " and press Enter.
                          Last edited by Mij; 28.05.2011, 10:27 PM. Reason: 1(d) added.

Comment

Working...
                          X