Getting pictures onto web site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting pictures onto web site

Hi everyone, I have been given the task of looking after my bowls club web site and am trying to put some new pictures on. I am using AceHTML to make the new html page, and AceFTP3 to upload the pages. I have copied and pasted the HTML information, and replaced the original photo information with the new photo information The pictures from my camera are too big for the web, so I have resized/resampled the photo's to 600x400 72 dpi and saved as "save for web". I can see the pictures when using the viewer tab on AceHTML software, but when I upload the photos, they can not be seen on the web site.
    If there is any advice you can give it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Rhod

Welcome Rhod.

Some notions first :
    As long as you're just working with pictures on your screen or on the web, the dpi of a file is not relevant.
    The function is called "save for web", but has no guarantee that it will work on the web.
    It's just a tool to make pictures more useful in filesize and/or dimensions, while keeping enough quality.

There's too little information about your problem. What picture format, which browser.
    This AceFTP3, does it show in a dialog whether your upload has arrived or not ?
    Did you try to view the picture locally with your own browser ?
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I don't use AceHTML, but I can imagine a few possible reasons that the images are not showing. A few:
      1. The path is not right because:
      - A. The program is not configured properly and it is inserting the local path
      - B. The images have been uploaded to the wrong directory
      2. There are capital letters in the filenames but not in the code, or vice versa. Or other oddities of character and whatnot. Fine for local files, taboo on a server.

Could you give a link to the site?
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks for getting in touch guys. To answer your question Sam, when I view the web page through the AceHTML software I can see the photo's perfectly. It is only when I upload the files, that I cant see any of them. I have made sure that I have uploaded the HTML page and the associated image.

Matera, the site address is : www.penyrheolbc.co.uk, and the issue I am having is on the photo gallery tab - 2010 photo's. I have checked and checked again for differnt spellings etc, but the more I look the less I see !!

Cheers

Comment

Maybe your server doesn't like spaces in file names?

BTW — I cannot read the red text on the green background. Use a different colour with better contrast such as blue or red on white. Many people are colour-blind.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I know the colours are a bit mad, but I want to get the pictures on there first before changing the page colours, and unfortunately the club colours are red, green and white!!!

Comment

Well, I looked directly into the images directory, and as far as I can see the problem is capital letters. The image name is 2010 com cup win.JPG , but the name on the page is 2010 com cup win.jpg. That is the most grievous sin of all, servers are very unforgiving.

Perhaps AceHTML is doing what it thinks is right by making the names lowercase. Have to watch settings details.
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Thanks Matera, it was indeed the fact that the file extension on the pictures were .JPG, and not .jpg

It has given me a headache over the last few weeks, but I still obviously have a lot to learn.

Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

Rhod

Comment

The smallest things are the easiest to overlook
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, rhodevanscds. LINUX Web Servers are VERY PARTICULAR about capitalization, while Windows Web Servers are more easy-going. It was such a mess, when I changed from a Windows-based server to LINUX! Matera quickly spotted the error, as usual!

Have you tried MS SharePoint Designer 2007? It is free (now that they have released Expression Web) and is a lot more powerful than AceHTML. You do not need an FTP client - it comes with one. If you use Firefox, you may also like to use FireFTP, the free but feature-rich FTP Plugin!

Caution: If you are changing HTML Editors, it is best to begin with a fresh page (rather than importing the AceHTML pages), since each HTML Editor carries its own junk and idiosyncrasies with it!
                    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                    IrfanView Website - Here
                    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
                    X