most recently used filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested most recently used filter

There have been many requests for an improved filter handling.

Here is another detail I would like to see.

When the (Adobe-)Filter window appears (CTRL+K), the list of filters is always positioned at the top. Could we have an option (e.g. a check box in that same window) so that the most recently used filter is already positioned and highlighted.

The filter.ini file already holds the path for the last folder of filters added. The last filter could also be stored here.

I had to use the same filter on 40+ images, but setting the controls each time individually. Having the last filter used ready after CTRL+K would speed things up in such a case.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Sounds like a useful proposition to me!
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Agreed, although highlighting is a luxury
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

... and I agree with Sam_Zen. Did you know by the way that you can jump to the filter in the dialog by typing the first letter of its name (repeat if there is another earlier one starting with the same letter).

I have been asking for some time for the position of the Adobe Filter dialog to be remembered too, since the window for the selected filter usually opens in a position relative to that dialog (and therefore quite often partly off-screen). So I do have an ulterior motive for supporting other requests relating to the dialog that might persuade Irfan that it is worth making some changes.

Comment

Yes, thanks Mij, I do know about that. I have also sorted my filters (as has been described in some other thread, see screenshot). As I have 150+ filters, that still makes for some delay navigating to the required filter multiple times.

Positioning the filter dialog depends on the parameters set by the filter developer. For example, when using Filtermeister the statement

Code:
          Dialog: POS=SCREEN(CENTER)
          will always center the dialog on the screen. - Many developers don't know or for some reason specify other positions, relative to the host application (IV in this case).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jazzman; 11.05.2010, 02:39 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Hi Jazzman
            I do not think I could cope with 150 entries in the list. I have folders of about 20 filters each and switch them in and out. I have graded the folders though in order of the usefulness (to me) of the filters in them.
            I suppose in your request, if the last used filter always went to the top of the list and the rest just moved down, then I would automatically end up with a list graded roughly in order of popularity.

I notice in your attachment the Martin Vicanek filters in the middle. Three of those are in my top 20 and are ones that I always have to drag back to center screen after opening. So perhaps I ought to donate to him with a hint that he might offer a self-centering version of the filters.

Comment

I suppose in your request, if the last used filter always went to the top of the list and the rest just moved down, then I would automatically end up with a list graded roughly in order of popularity.
              Just to make myself clear. I don't want the sorting order of te filters changed. I just want the list positioned at the most recently used filter.

I notice in your attachment the Martin Vicanek filters in the middle. Three of those are in my top 20 and are ones that I always have to drag back to center screen after opening. So perhaps I ought to donate to him with a hint that he might offer a self-centering version of the filters.
              I pointed this out to Martin in the filtermeister yahoo group last summer. So hopefully he will remember it when he next compiles/publishes a new version.
              Last edited by jazzman; 12.05.2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                Just to make myself clear. I don't want the sorting order of te filters changed. I just want the list positioned at the most recently used filter.
                I see. Then it is only really of value if you want to use the same filter as you used last time. If you want a different one it could make it harder to find. So, I don't think I would use that option.

I pointed this out to Martin in the filtermeister yahoo group last summer. So hopefully he will remember it when he next compiles/publishes a new version.
                That is good. Does he do updates? If so how do you tell which version you have got?

Later: Found the answer to that myself. Version numbers are in the Txt files that comes zipped up with them
                Last edited by Mij; 12.05.2010, 05:10 PM. Reason: Added "Later:..."

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                  ... When the (Adobe-)Filter window appears (CTRL+K), the list of filters is always positioned at the top. Could we have an option (e.g. a check box in that same window) so that the most recently used filter is already positioned and highlighted.
                  Wow, version 4.28 I notice this has been implemented. - Big thanks, Irfan!!! - I love it.

Comment

Yes, a step forward there, and I notice that a couple of the Martin Vicanek filters are now centered so your comments to him have been heeded too. Thanks all round.

Comment

Working...
                    X