Sorting Files in Windows 7 Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting Files in Windows 7 Style

Irfanview's "sort by name" and "sort by name XP style" display images in a different order than Windows Explorer's sort by name does.

This is a problem because when I open a folder containing many image files with Windows Explorer and then open an individual image in that folder with Irfanview, going to the "next" file in the directory with Irfanview goes to a different file than the one shown next in Windows Explorer.

For example, let's say the following I have the following files displayed in a folder in windows explorer, "sorted by name". They appear in the following order:
    4a 1.bmp
    4a.jpg
    19.jpg
    90.jpg
    123.jpg
    1223.jpg

But I can't get Irfanview to display the images in this order. If I set Irfanview to "sort by name ascending", they are ordered as:
    1223.jpg
    123.jpg
    19.jpg
    4a 1.bmp
    4a.jpg
    90.jpg

If I instead tell Irfanview to "sort by name ascending, XP style", they are ordered as:
    4a.jpg
    4a 1.bmp
    19.jpg
    90.jpg
    123.jpg
    1223.jpg

This is *close* to the way windows explorer in windows 7 sorts files, but not exactly the same (4a and 4a 1 are switched).

My question is: Is there any way to get Irfanview to order files in the exact same way that windows explorer in Windows 7 does?

Thank You.

Originally posted by DeepBlue9000 View Post
    My question is: Is there any way to get Irfanview to order files in the exact same way that windows explorer in Windows 7 does?
    Sorry, there is no easy way of doing it.

In fact there is really no such thing as an XP sort order. The order is controlled by keys in the Registry and changes according to your language settings. You can also edit the registryto change the default for your language too if you so wish. AFAIK Vista and Windows 7 are exactly the same as XP in this respect.
    Irfanview defines its own version of "XP style" which is similar to the default for most Western languages but, as you have discovered, not quite the same. The name XP style in Irfanview is really just to distinguish it from the default sort order for earlier versions of Windows, which is similar to Irfanview's non-XP style "sort by name".

With "No sort" selected you can drag a selection of files from a Windows Explorer window and drop them into the list box of a Slideshow or Batch dialog and they remain in the same order (always click on the first file in the selection to drag the selected set). From there you could save the list as a text file, open that text file in Thumbnails and then show them in the same order in the Irfanview Viewer window. Sadly dropping a selection directly into an empty Viewer window does not work, you just get the whole folder in the default sort order again. As I said, no easy way AFAIK.
    Last edited by Mij; 11.05.2010, 01:33 PM. Reason: Missed out a QUOTE bracket

Comment

I see. I'll guess I'll just stick with Irfanview's XP style sort order. Thank you for your help.

Comment

I do not have more than a hundred images by any single name, so I get by, by naming such files as pic01, pic02, etc.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Hi,

I asked this question in the german section of this forum but get no answer. As I seen this thread I hope to get help. I have the same problem with the sorting order of Win7. So can anyone tell me how I change the language/sorting settings in the registry? Or better will it eventually be possible that irfanview gets Win7 compliant sort order?

Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

Working...
          X