forward arrow NOT working in large directories ver 425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported forward arrow NOT working in large directories ver 425

just took time to update from ver 422 to ver 425 on a winME machine in hopes of fixing the forward arrow problem (422 fix didn't work on all directories)

I find that the problem is the same, except that now the back arrow also fails.

Keyboard arrow keys & spacebar work properly to step thru the files in order, but the navigation arrows jump over several hundred files a couple times, then pop up the 'end of folder' msg.

This happens in any directory with about 2000 files or more (no problem with one directory that has only 1800 files).

One difference between ver 422 & ver 425 is that now the arrows will work correctly if I first use the 'file: open' browser to open any file in the directory. Only then can I step through the files with the navigation arrows until I close irfanview, after that it doesn't work again until I restart the computer & use the 'file: open' browser again.

I haven't programmed in 25 years or so, but it sounds like some kind of resource exhaustion. Of course, this would only be if the keybord keys & the navigation arrows used a different resource.

Great program other than this minor annoyance.

small error in the above - all directories that fail have more than 3000 files rather than 2000 files

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, crassius.

In all these years of working with IrfanView, I've never faced the problem you mention, nor have I heard it mentioned (albeit I do not have 1000s of images in any single folder - I have far fewer...)

Windows ME is the shortest-lived Windows version - it was discontinued since it had too many security issues and bugs. I suspect that your problem is due to some Win ME issue... check whether the problem persists on other machines running other Windows versions!

I don't know whether IrfanView is programmed to 'see' just 3000 files in a single folder - the round number you mention (3000) makes it look like this could be a possibility. If that is the case, WinME is not to blame, of course.

IrfanView 4.27 has just been released - you could also download it (along with its matching Plugins) and check if the problem disappears!
      Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
      IrfanView Website - Here
      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
      Author's Website - Here

Comment

3000 was not meant to be an actual number, but it is about there that the large directories start to break (I think the smallest dir tested was 3140 or so). I have the 4.27ver & will try it tomorrow, but since the fix for 4.22 solved the arrow problem for all but the large dirs, I'm thinking it is still a bug in the viewer rather than in the OS. I'd expect that the person that wrote the 4.22 fix would be familiar with the code & might notice a dir size problem there and do an easy fix if there is one.

It is only a minor problem, but I don't want to break large archives into smaller ones if the viewer could be fixed.

Comment

I never understand why anyone wants so many files in one directory. (Whatever you do do'nt try to use thumbnails will all those files, please!).
          There used to be a limit on how many files you could have in a folder, but I cannot remember if that was in the Fat32 file system you have in WinME or earlier Windows versions.
          Someone may be willing to check if this in a WinME problem or not, but I am sorry to say that no way am I going to put 3000 files into one folder just to try it out.

Comment

max number of files in a dir with Fat32 is 65k..
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OK, got the 4,27 ver in - still have the problem. Can't see how it could be an OS problem if it works just fine with the keyboard arrows, and not the toolbar arrows.

Comment

You're right, it does not seem to be a WinME problem, if you are able to go beyond 3000-and-odd files using the Keyboard Arrows. Does not seem to be something wrong basically, with IrfanView too, for the same reason.

I too would never put so many files into one directory, even for reproducing the problem at my end! You may want to write to Irfan, describing the problem - Best of Luck!
                Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                IrfanView Website - Here
                Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                Author's Website - Here

Comment

FWIW, I can not reproduce the problem in Vista x64/IrfanView 4.27. I copied 4200+ JPGs to a folder and opened one in IrfanView. Arrow keys, navigation arrows, spacebar/backspace all work as expected. I repeated the test several times, closing and restarting Irfanview each time.

Comment

perhaps it is something in the way winME handles the call made by the arrows in those large directories

I know the arrows can't just duplicate the keyboard keys, or the larger pics would just scroll instead of moving to the next pic. The keyboard keys have no problem though, and neither do the spacebar & backspace keys. Sure would be nice of the arrows would just duplicate those calls.

Given the source, it might be fairly easy to spot which part of the difference between arrow & spacebar was causing the problem.

Comment

well, it was a real PITA, but I divided those dirs into several of 1500 or less files

works fine now, except that a 12 year old storage-by-category system is totally hosed with way too many places to look thru for things

still hoping the problem will be found & everything can be put back as it was

Comment

Working...
                      X