v4.27: IrfanView can't open his own created TIFF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed v4.27: IrfanView can't open his own created TIFF files

I am running into this error a lot lately. When acquiring some pages to a multipage TIFF file (LZW compression), I cannot open the TIFF file afterwards, even if it's Irfanview that created the file in the first place. Anyone?

Of course, the multipage file can be opened properly (and extracted) with XnView for instance.

Next time I am going to test other compression options. Maybe LZW is börked.

I don't do any work with TIFF files, so do not have an answer for you. It is likely that someone else in here has, though.

However, it would be interesting to know the results of your testing of other compression algorithms as well!
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Worked OK for me ??
      Did you install the new all plugins ??

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Yes I did install the plugins for v4.27

Comment

Using ZIP compression seems to alleviate this problem.

Comment

Odd. No problems for me.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I am still having this problem 90% of the time, no matter what compression I am using. When scanning a 500 page book (a4 - 200 dpi), Irfanview says TIFF is corrupted. So far, I am using XnView for extracting pages.

In the end, I have resorted to using PDF. TIFF isn't useable for me anymore.
              Last edited by eL_PuSHeR; 25.05.2010, 07:29 AM.

Comment

In the interim, I am still investigating this issue.

At first, I got the thought this issue could be due to memory constraints, but no. Today I have created a 2,7Gb TIFF file which works perfectly (LZW compression). On the other hand, I have a 360 MB ZIP packed TIFF that shows the infamous error. See attached image below.

I am also posting some bytes from the header, in case someone can be able to get something from it. I am not a programmer so it says nothing to me.

Best regards. I hope this will get resolved soon. I am sure it's just some stupid bug.

Comment

Great! I have found out the IV has "clipped" my 2.7Gb TIFF. It only "sees" 154 out of 220 pages. Grrrrr....

Comment

Back on topic:

After testing out about 900 TIFF files, all of which were previously loading properly I am now pretty sure the issue is due to memory allocation (bad allocation or memory shortage it seems). I say this because the issue is triggered when the TIFF file reaches a certain filesize (about >250 MB rougly).
                    Last edited by eL_PuSHeR; 02.06.2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Confirmed. The limit seems to be around 255MB. Old 4.0 version doesn't have the problem, so using that again.

Comment

Hooray!

I sent a test file to Irfan and he has kindly provided me with an updated EXE for Irfanview 4.27 - It seems there was a bug in TIFF library.

You can get it here: http://depositfiles.com/files/sv57ftv5n

Comment

Working...
                        X