Virus detected in plug in download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus detected in plug in download?

Trend Micro detects wbz.dll as PAC_Generic virus when I download the plug in zip file. Is it safe to download?

You can upload it to http://www.virustotal.com and let it check. You will receive this result:
    VirusTotal is a free virus, malware and URL online scanning service. File checking is done with more than 40 antivirus solutions. Files and URLs can be sent via web interface upload, email API or making use of VirusTotal's browser extensions and desktop applications.

TrendMicro uses PAC_Generic as an (for them) unknown compression algorithm. Currently the file seems to be packe with UPX (http://upx.sourceforge.net/) and VirusTotal says this for the unpacked file:
    VirusTotal is a free virus, malware and URL online scanning service. File checking is done with more than 40 antivirus solutions. Files and URLs can be sent via web interface upload, email API or making use of VirusTotal's browser extensions and desktop applications.

Comment

Well, I couldn't upload anything because Trend was Quarantining it as soon as it hit the network. Based on your tests, I suspended Trend, unpacked the zip file, then restarted Trend and scanned the extracted files. Everything came up clean.

Thanks.

Comment

If you still have problem with a file you should send it to TrendMicro so they can check it and fix their signature.

Comment

Neither McAfee SiteAdvisor nor Norton 360 have any issues with either the Plug-ins or IrfanView itself, when I downloaded them from tucows. AntiVirus programs sometimes act up and give false alarms - I guess no algorithm (for detecting Malware) can be 100% correct, 100% of the time!
          Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
          IrfanView Website - Here
          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
          Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
          X