saved window position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed saved window position

The first thing I noticed after upgrading to IV 4.27 from 4.25 is that it opened at the left of monitor 1, whereas the saved position had been at the right of monitor 2.

My configuration is such that monitor 2 is to the left of monitor 1, and has negative positions; I suspect that is at the root of the problems. Negative window positions ARE legal, and CAN BE visible... but many programs assume otherwise. Sadly, it seems that IV 4.27 has joined that club.

Perhaps this was an attempt to ensure visibility, but if so, each monitor should be examined to determine its range of pixels, and if the saved window positions are contained within a single monitor's pixels, the saved position should be used.

I agree with your reasoning and think your conclusion is correct as well. However, since I will have to go to a lot of trouble installing a second monitor to reproduce your issue, I would not like to reproduce it at my end anytime in the near future!
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

FWIW, I have the same monitor arrangement as the OP and can reproduce the problem.

Comment

Just joined the forum to report this problem (or at least a closely related one).

I have monitor 1 on the left of monitor 2, but monitor 2 is my primary monitor. I want IrfanView to open on monitor 1 (as it has always happily done in the past), but with version 4.27 I can not make this happen.

I have reverted to 4.25, as this situation is simply unacceptable.
        Last edited by Paul D; 26.05.2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

The silence is deafening. This is a SERIOUS problem

Comment

Happily fixed in version 4.28

Comment

4.28 happens to be the first irfan view I've ever installed, and oddly enough this sounds exactly like the setup and problem I'm having right out of the box

Primary monitor on the right, secondary monitor on the left and no matter what I do I always end up with an irfanview window on the right and a full screen image on the left. Windows XP SP3, should that matter. I assume the full screen view should ordinarily be on the same monitor as the window, i.e. simply on top of it?

Comment

Maybe some more details about your configuration would help, or at least help differentiate it from mine.

My right, primary monitor is 1200x1600, my left, secondary monitory is 1600x1200. Windows 7-64bit... but the problem started for me using XP SP3, and continued with Win7, with the same monitors.

Generally, the full screen hides the window by appearing on the same monitor. The only case I've noticed where that doesn't happen is when the window crosses monitors, or is bigger than one monitor.

Comment

Did post the OS, but I wasn't sure what else would influence this. 1280x1024 on both monitors, WinXP SP3 would be 32bit. Both the full screen instance and the main window use exactly 1 monitor, no overlapping.

Comment

So what happens if you quit maximizing the "normal" window, and leave a pixel or two around the outside of the frame? I.e. restore it to non-maximized, and then adjust the size to nearly fill the window, and then choose full screen view.

I'm wondering if there is a bug that if the window is maximized, the "left pixel" (which is apparently how the choice of "full screen" monitor is made) appears to be in the left monitor, because there is no window frame?

Comment

Interesting. Both a non maximized window and a maximized window result in the full screen view appearing on my primary monitor, and the same thing for the secondary monitor if I drag (and/or maximize) the window there, both the window and the full screen view exclusively appearing there then.
                      It's indeed just the initial default action that results in a full screen view on the left (secondary monitor) and a maximized window on the right (primary monitor).

Comment

That's good news. It means that you can continue to learn how to use and enjoy what I consider to be such a useful program, that I have twice sent Irfan some money, even though he manages to add useful features to his free program on a regular basis.

So if it is just the initial default action, you should be able to reproduce the problem by renaming your i_view32.ini file so IrfanView cannot find it (or point IrfanView at a different directory for its .ini file via the command line switch for that), and also avoid the problem by copying your current i_view32.ini back to where IrfanView can find it (or dropping the command line switch).

I take it from what you said, that once you change the size of the main IrfanView window, you cannot then change it again to a size that causes problems?

Comment

I'm saying that no matter which initial size of the window, the initial full screen view always gets deposited on the secondary monitor which is left of the primary one. Renaming the ini file and customizing the settings again however did work. After comparing old and new I'm guessing the following setting caused the problem, although I'm not sure how that came to be in the first place (as it was a first install):

Code:
                          [WinPosition]
                          xKoord=-1280
                          Last edited by MiG; 26.01.2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem

Originally posted by MiG View Post
                            I'm saying that no matter which initial size of the window, the initial full screen view always gets deposited on the secondary monitor which is left of the primary one. Renaming the ini file and customizing the settings again however did work. After comparing old and new I'm guessing the following setting caused the problem, although I'm not sure how that came to be in the first place (as it was a first install):

Code:
                            [WinPosition]
                            xKoord=-1280

Dear MiG

Have you resolved your issue? I am suffering exactly the same problem.

I am running the latest version of IrfanView 4.33 on Windows 7 64-bit with NVidia GeForce GTX 580 (drivers 295.73) and two DELL monitors (mouse cursor moves between the borders, the start menu is on the primary screen only).

Thanks for any idea
                            Robert

Comment

Originally posted by zemcik@kme.zcu.cz View Post
                              Dear MiG

Have you resolved your issue? I am suffering exactly the same problem.

I am running the latest version of IrfanView 4.33 on Windows 7 64-bit with NVidia GeForce GTX 580 (drivers 295.73) and two DELL monitors (mouse cursor moves between the borders, the start menu is on the primary screen only).

Thanks for any idea
                              Robert
                              Before you bump a 1 1/2 year old thread, you may want to read the very post you quoted...

Originally posted by MiG View Post

Code:
                              [WinPosition]
                              xKoord=-1280

Comment

Working...
                              X