v4.27 Crop visible window area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported v4.27 Crop visible window area

Well it does what it says plus a rather interesting undocumented effect.
    Give it a try. It's on the Edit menu.
    Attached Files

Does what it says ? It does nothing at all..
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It seems to work exactly as expected here — no sign of the menu being left in the image.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I also see the a rest of the selected menu entry after using this function.
        Maybe it has to do with Windows visual effects.

Edit: I just diabled Aero on Win 7 and now it works as expected. With Aero enabled I get the same problem as Mij described.

So it seems Irfan just copies the content of the area which is displayed. I also opened the task manager and have the "Always in front" option set and moved the task manager window over IrfanView and do a crop to the current window. And in my cut I can see the part of the task manager which was in front.

And the next thing is if you zoom into a picture and use this function you will also get a hardcopy of this zoomed window.
        Last edited by derniwi; 18.05.2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yes you are right Derniwi. It is not a Crop at all, just a screen capture of the area covered by the Irfanview window. I capture the task bar and EXIF dialog - anything that will stay in front of the Irfanview window in fact.
          Attached Files

Comment

I just informed Irfan about this problem.

Comment

I got an answer from Irfan:
              the "Crop visual window area" function does a screenshot of this area.

For the problem with the shining menu he will increase the delay between the function is called and the screenshot is taken.

Comment

OK, so (apart from capturing that bit of the menu) it is not a bug at all if that is what Irfan intended

I do think it is very unwise to call this a Crop though, when it is just a screen capture. Those who resave a 10MP image thinking that they have just cropped a bit off the edges are going to be pretty sore when they discover they have down sized to nearer 1MP.

Comment

I also have my doubts about using the term 'crop' here. It gives the wrong expectation. That's why I said that nothing happened..
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I think this should be an easy way to resize a picture. We have this possible settings:
                    - zoom out until the size is ok
                    - use the resample functions for the window mode (not fullscreen)
                    - do not need to create a frame, crop and resize

This is just a fast method for downsizing an image using simple controls. For pictures that are smaller than the monitor resolution it seems not to be really necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X