I can't open a .psp file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't open a .psp file

If anyone can PLEASE help me...I'm very frustrated that I can't open files saves as .psp files (paint shop pro). A disc was given to me and if I can't open the files I have days of retyping to do. I can't go back to the person that created the disc, she knows less about computers than I do.

I've downloaded IrfanView but no luck, the files won't open. The window says that it can't read the file header, whatever that means, and the file format is unknown or the file isn't found. I have downloaded the plugins, but the window also says something about activating the unicode plugin.

PLEASE, if anyone can help me. I would need step by step instructions...not very computer savy about these things.

Thanks, Joe The Confused

Hello and welcome to this forum.

IrfanView should be able to open Paint Shop Pro files. Do you know which version was used for creating the files?
    As far as I know the unicode plugin should only be necessary for the Windows path and file names, not for the files directly. Could you copy a file from your CD directly to your C: drive and give it a simple name, so that you get something like "C:\test.psp" ?
    Then try to open the file with Irfan View.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Nils, Thank you for responding. I downloaded all the files from CD onto my hard drive. When I downloaded Irfan View I selected it as the software to use to open PSP files.

Now, as for what you asked me to do...I selected one of the files, copied it, renamed it TEST and tried to open it. It wouldn't open. So then I reread your instructions. I then tried to copy a file from the folder on my network and place it on the C drive. It would not let me do that. I'm at work and I'm not the Admin so I can't do that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Joe, is there any special character in the path like a blank?
        What is the file size of one of the PSP file?

Have you installed the plugins? You need at least the iv_formats.zip plugins.

Comment

File name is 125 page book cover.psp. So I guess there is a blank. These are pages from a booklet, done in Photo Shop Pro, but I downloaded the free 30 day trial and they still didn't open. The size of this file is 14.5 KB. Most of the files seem to be in similar size. Each page is a different file.

I did install the plugins. Do they then automatically update the software?

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Hi Joe The Confused,

14.5 kb seems very low for an image (is that cover supposed to be an image?). I suspect this file has a .psp extension but isn't a psp image.
            This is confirmed as even your trial PSP can't open this file.

Laurent
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Laurent,

Thank you for responding. The cover at this time is text only. So I would agree with you, there is a .psp extension, however the file does not contain a psp image. However, image or not, shouldn't the file open so that you can see the text, edit it, etc?

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Hi Joe The Confused,

If it is a PSP image, PSP (trial or official) should be able to open it. If PSP can't open it, I believe there is a problem with that file.
                If you post an image, I can try to open it here.
                I can't do anything more I believe.

Laurent

Comment

Laurent,

Again, thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I tried to upload a file and it says it is an invalid file. Could that be the problem...the files are invalid. If that is the problem I wonder what I need to do to fix that problem...if it is even fixable?

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Hi Joe The Confused,

I don't know. Post the zipped file.

Laurent

Comment

Laurent,

I had to delete some of the pages from the booklet, the files were too large, but you should get the idea of what I'm dealing with.

Again, thank you!

Thanks, Joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joe,

sorry, but I can't help you. I have used Paint Shop Pro 7 several years ago and still have some files which I can open with IrfanView. But I can't open your files. Also XnView can't open them. As far as I know PSP is now under Corel control so maybe they changed the file structure. Have you had a look at the Corel sites for a demo version?

Are you sure the files were created with Paint Shop Pro or might it be an other program?

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Nils,

Honestly, I'm not sure. I was given a disc with the files on it in a .psp format. I went online and Corel Photo Shop Pro popped up as the most likely program used to create the files. If you can't open them either who knows what program might have been used. Very strange.

I did download a free version of Corel Paint Shop Pro and the program was unable to open the files.

Thanks for your help...I do appreciate it.

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Hi Joe The Confused,

Neither IrfanView nor Gimp were able to open your files.
                            As you downloaded the trial version of PSP, the best is to ask there why PSP cant' open a file created with it.

Laurent
                            Last edited by Laurent; 19.05.2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Laurent,

THANK YOU for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X